Sunday, August 12, 2007

"H" is for Heidi

"I feel I must praise and thank the Lord for the blessings he has brought to us all!" (Grandmother, in Heidi by Johanna Spyri)


I once asked my parents why they named me "Heidi" and they replied, "It went with Schlumpf." Heidi, of course, is a Swiss name, and so is Schlumpf. My family, on my dad's side, comes from Switzerland. I've liked having a unique name, and one that can't be shortened into a nickname.

A few years ago I started collecting copies of the book Heidi. I found copies in other countries and bought the rest of them on ebay for a few bucks apiece. I have almost 100 copies, stored in my favorite handpainted bookcase. (For a real "Corner of my Home," check out the photo below and see the yarn stash pile around the bookcase. And that's my "home altar" on top.


I have met very few "Heidi"s in my life, but I think it's interesting that in a few months of craft blog reading, I have met three others:
Isn't that odd? Any other Heidi craft bloggers out there?

Often when people meet me, they comment on my name, and most older men mention the time that the movie "Heidi" with Shirley Temple interrupted the NFL playoff game at a very exciting point in 1968. People call it the "Heidi Bowl."

So what about your name? Do you like it? Any good stories?

11 comments:

Sarah and Jack said...

Eh, I think every other girl born in 1975 is a Sarah. I have no issues with the name though, and I can't imagine being anything else.

Heidi said...

Hooray for Heidi! :D

I love your collection! I've thought about starting one of my own but never seem to run across any Heidi books. Recently a blog friend sent me an old copy of Heidi and Heidi's Children (which I'd never seen before) so I guess I'm on my way. Did I spy a Russian version on your shelf? Cool!

One story about my name is that my full name is Heidi Jo. When I was born the newspaper in the small town where my grandparents live (parents grew up there) misprinted my birth announcment as "Heidi Ho" so I've been Heidi Ho ever since!

Bee said...

I'm still laughing at the Heidi Ho comment... but anyway...

I know an cute little 3 year old Heidi.

The Heidi books collection is so cool. The story is a special one for me as it was the first 'real' book I read as a child. By that I mean a chapter book with no pictures. I still remember how proud I was with myself and I still have that book.

Lucy said...

I think most of my close blog friends know my real name (Jodi) and I'm named after my Grandfather--Joseph since I was the first grandchild. I probably disappointed everyone being a female at first but my Grandfather and I became fast friends--we did everything together, fished, woodworking, played cards, he took me to piano lessons a couple a nights a week, picked me up from school just about everyday, I stayed over my grandparents house at least 2x a week. I never knew this until I was a lot older that I changed my Grandfather--he was an angry alchoholic until I came around and then suddenly like it was his chance to raise his kids over again, he started on the straight and narrow once his grandchildren started sprouting. I would never guessed there was another side of him until my Mom told me how it was for her growing up and how different he had been with her and her sisters.....

Anywhooo--that's the history of my name and my best friend....

Connie W said...

Just stopping by to comment that I think the shelf of "Heidi" books is fun, fun, fun, and if my name were the title of a book I'd be collecting them just as you are.
Connie W

jungle dream pagoda said...

Love the name Heidi,and I love that you have an eponymous book collection!

Rebecca said...

I love the name Heidi! As for mine, apparently I'm named after someone's great Aunt Becky or something but as I kid I remember my parents had this bible that had biblical names listed in the back. I looked up mine and apparently Rebecca is Hebrew for noose. Hmmm . . .

Vintage Hunter said...

Wow that's a lot of Heidi books! I have a cousin named Heidi so I never thought of it as an uncommon name. Mine is pretty common - Nicole, but I've always gone by Nikki. I was always too much of a tomboy to go by Nicole.

Anonymous said...

I've never come across so many Heidis until I started a craft blog! And now that I've read yours, I'll have to add you to my Heidi list!

I love your book collection! I collect Alice in Wonderlands rather than Heidis. Huh.

My Heidi story: My maiden name is Fox, and when I started my job at this college, the College President introduced me to the Board at a huge Board Meeting as Heidi Fleiss. I think he was more embarrassed than I was.

Heidi E.
Absinthe Knits

catieann said...

hi heidi

i was actually watching that game with my dad and five brothers when it was preempted by HEIDI with shirley temple.
talk about a 'lynch mob' forming all across the US!!!

i was 18 at the time and thought it was funny actually. smiling

Mimi said...

What a lovely collection! I love that book, and have re-read it many times.