Saturday, August 18, 2007

"K" is for Knitter

"Art washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life." (Picasso)

"K" is for "knitter," of course. I learned to knit as a child but learned again (both times from my mom) and really got into it when I was 40. It's a nice, portable craft, but also what you end up with is something most people want or need: a wearable item. I also love the feel and color of all the different fibers.

I've been knitting a lot of baby items lately, a few from this book. Last night I started the "Chunky Cardigan" with (top photo) with the Lion Brand Cashmere blend in off-white. This is a baby gift for our former neighbors, who are choosing not to know the gender in advance, so off-white seemed good.


I also finally finished what's called the "Rose Bud Cardigan" (it's shown with rosebuds instead of buttons) from that book in this German sock yarn in a pretty fall colorway. I used Size 3 needles (instead of the Size 2) to make gauge and made it in the 9 month size. It took just a little more than one ball of the yarn, so I hope to make a hat and socks to match with the rest of the yarn. I think this is one the longest, most complicated projects I've ever done, and now it's ready to go off to my niece Elena.

Last night we went to Millennium Park for the free "Peace Concert" with our friends, Karen and Jeff (and kids), Karlin and Charles, and Jon and Kristin (and Lincoln, who is modeling the sweet cardigan I made for him a few months ago.) It fits him perfectly. This is the free pattern from the Yarn Harlot, which I like a lot. Although the Chunky Cardigan may become my new favorite for fast baby gifts.

Movies to knit by: It was Spencer Tracy day on TCM toda yso I watched Boys Town (1938), Without Love (1945--love Lucille Ball in it), and Adam's Rib (1949). Then last night Ed and I watched Babel. Very good, though tough to knit through because of all the subtitles. It was a rainy day so a good day to watch movies and knit.

4 comments:

Di said...

All that knitting looks great! I love the Cherished Baby book!

Heidijayhawk said...

that knitting looks amazing!! i love it! i wish i was less knitting retarded. geez. i totally love the finished product but can't quite get the rhythm of it.

Mary Belle said...

Those are beautiful pieces of knitting. I am so proud of you. I'm off to Lake Country Knitting Guild this morning. I have been on a finishing, blocking, and felting kick the lat week and I have three sweaters, a capelet, a purse and golf club covers. Watch my blog for pictures later today. Rain, rain, go away. Come again another day.

Love, Mom

Lucy said...

You do such nice work, Heidi--it all looks amazing :)

lucy