Friday, August 31, 2007

"N" is for Nature

"Fear less, hope more; eat less, chew more; whine less, breathe more; talk less, say more, love more, and all good things will be yours" (Swedish proverb)

I am a city girl, for sure. I love the excitement, diversity, and energy of cities, and Chicago is my favoriate. I could never imagine myself living in a suburb or small town. We have great parks in Chicago, and today Ed and I went to the lakefront and had a little impromptu picnic and nap. It was a beautiful day, though you can tell the end of summer is coming.

But "city nature" can only take you so far. Ed and I both love to get out of the city and have a real nature experience as often as we can. We often go to my parents' place on a lake in Wisconsin, and we go camping once a year at Newport State Park on the very tip of Door County. We used to go in the summer, but now we go in September to mark our anniversary. It almost always rains, but it's so cool to backpack in and not see another person for two straight days.
Tonight we had some yummy Alaskan King Crab for dinner. I think I ate a half a stick of butter with it! Then I made a special order Harley Davidson-themed felt purse for my parents' neighbor. And now I'm trying to catch up on this "Encyclopedia of Me," which I should finished by now.


2 comments:

Lucy said...

Mmmmm Alaskan King Crab---is there any other way to eat it than with a stick of butter?? I think not! :)

It's good to have balance between the city life and life in the country, too much of anything isn't a good thing. Backpacking for 2 days without seeing anyone sounds extremely peaceful, enjoy your trip when you go.

lucy

Heidijayhawk said...

living in the middle of kansas i totally have nature. all. the. time. however we have all of the nessities. 1 mile away they have no cable and rural water. no way.