Monday, September 03, 2007

"P" is for party

"Promise me you'll always remember... You're braver than you believe and stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think," said Christopher Robin. (A.A. Milne)

My parents know how to throw a party. Over Labor Day weekend, Ed and I went to their house for the annual summer lake party, which includes a game organized by my parents and their neighbors, Dan and Donna. It's kind of like a scavenger hunt, but the questions have to do with each of the five bays of the lake my parents live on. This year eight pontoon boats-ful of people entered.

We were on the judges boat with my parents and their neighbors. The first rule of this game is that the judges are always right. And we accept bribes for points. (Except that the email about the party had a typo that said we accept "brides" so one team had a guy dressed like a bride.)
The best bribe had to be these yummy grilled onion-tomato-and-bacon-wrapped pork loins. Yummy! We also got cookies, brownies, jello shots (top photo), bottles of wine, liquor, and lots of other goodies. After the game, all the boats tied themselves together for a party, with a separate pontoon for the porta potty.

It was a wild party. At one point Ed commented that everyone seemed to be on the same Wiconsin cocaine--hyper and folksy at the same time! It's kind of funny that my parents can party with the best of the twentysomethings on their lake. Me? I was tired by 10 p.m.

I did make Jennifer's "Friend Maker Browies" with Kaluha, chocolate pieces, and pecans. They were awesome. I'm going to try them in a 9 x 13 pan next time, because they almost were a bit too much. She's not kidding: these are the best brownies I've ever had!









1 comment:

Heidijayhawk said...

now that sounds like FUN!!!