Monday, September 10, 2007

"S" is for Spiritual

"Like billowing clouds, like the incessant gurgle of the brook, the longing of the soul can never be stilled. It is this long with which holy persons seek their work from God." (Medieval mystic Hildegard of Bingen)

When I first started this blog, I named it "Spiritual Knitter" because that name captured not only my crafty/creative side but also another huge part of my life and what ultimately became my life's work: spirituality.

My spirituality is nothing if not eclectic (like those items from my home altar). Grounded in the liberal Catholicism in which I was raised (very post-Vatican II church with hippies and the whole thing!), I have also found wisdom in other traditions, including Judaism, Buddhism, and Hinduism through yoga. I also have been heavily influenced by feminist theology, which I studied at a Methodist seminary at Northwestern University.

I can't sum up all my spiritual and religious beliefs in one post, but I can say this: I think there is something bigger than this world, something most people call God. I don't think God is omnipotent, meaning that God controls everything that happens here on earth. But I do believe that God is with us through all of life's joys and sorrows. Also, as a Christian I believe God entered this world through the person of Jesus, who taught a radical way of being human that focused primarily on social justice and on the belief that life can come out of death in so many ways in our lives. The seasons and life/death/new life cycles of the earth confirm that truth to me.

When people learn I work for a Catholic magazine, they often assume I'm conservative or an apologist for the Catholic Church (I am neither). I do believe that Catholicism can be path that makes sense, and it has more or less worked for me. I also see lots of other viable paths and, like Buddhist monk Thich Nhat Hanh (whom I once interviewed), believe it's probably best for people to try first with the path they grew up in. I don't think it's impolite to talk about religion; in fact, I think it's one of the most fascinating things to talk about!

One bit of "spiritual" news is that I finished my book this past weekend. Tentatively titled, As We Wait: Spiritual Reflections for Adopting Parents, it will be published by this small publisher next year. It's been healing for me to write it during our adoption wait, and I hope it can help others who are going through the adoption process. Feels good to be done. Talk about a FO!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

What awesome news about the book being done! Congratulations. Looking forward to seeing you guys in a few weeks in the bend.

xo Kristi

Anonymous said...

Hi Heidi: "My" book is done, too! I got two copies on Monday and the rest are being delivered Friday! Congrats on yours :) Amy

VictoriaE said...

Wonderful news, congratulations!!!

Heidijayhawk said...

what amazing news! your spirituality emenates throughout all of your writing. thanks for always sharing!

jungle dream pagoda said...

Congrats on the book!I understand a little bit about the journey ,because we have friends that are both in the process and have already adopted. The ones that are still on the journey,definitely have there ups and downs. I love reading about your eclectic spirituality. I grew up right-wing Baptist,and afraid it has turned me off of spirituality. I have even tried more liberal Christian churches,the distaste I feel for the right-wing faction,has just plain almost completely put me off my spirituality. 2 ,Christmases ago I decided to explore other kinds of spirituality,I liked some of the ideas but could not get my brain around embracing them. I have decided I am presently taking a a personal approach to my connection with God,and seeing what evolves.
Thanx for sharing.