Tuesday, September 18, 2007

"V" is for Vegetarian--sort of

"You are the veil that hides the paradise you seek." (St. Brendan)

This is why I am no longer a vegetarian--two reasons: starch and cheese. I was a vegetarian for a few years but found that I replaced meat primarily with starch and cheese. So I decided that carb addiction was a bigger issue for me than meat. I still don't eat a lot of meat (I never was a strict vegetarian. My rule was that if someone else prepared it or I ate it in a bar, it didnt' count.)

Last night I made homemade macaroni and cheese (pardon the awful photo. It looked much better in person) with a recipe from this cookbook. This is my favorite food, homemade with the bread crumbs on top and preferably served with sliced fresh tomatoes. When my mom used to ask me what I wanted for dinner for my birthday, I would ask for this.

My co-worker Tom gave me a recipe for a jazzed up Mac and Cheese with gorgonzola and tomatoes. I'll try to find the recipe and post it later.

2 comments:

Sarah and Jack said...

Speaking of jazzed up mac n cheese, I think the newest issue of Real Simple Family (or maybe it was BH&G? I could check to be sure) had about 15 different versions of it.

jungle dream pagoda said...

Love Mac and Cheese ,almost never eat it ,for the reasons you have described. I am a former carboholic,who now ,honestly, mostly eats fish and veggies,and ,those yummy sparing sweets!