Thursday, September 20, 2007

"W" is for writer

"There's nothing to writing. All you do is sit down at a typewriter and open a vein." (Sportswriter Red Smith)

As many of you know, in my day job I am a writer and editor for a national Catholic magazine. I've been managing editor for three years now, and unfortunately I do more managing than editing lately--and even less writing. Thankfully I do a fair amount of freelance writing, too.

I'm not going to say that I always dreamed of being a writer (though I did start a neighborhood newspaper with my sister when I was about 10). And I have no desire to write fiction. I wanted to become a writer because I saw it as a way to influence how other people think (and to make them think), hopefully about important things that really matter. That's what led me to cover religion and spirituality.

People often come to me for advice on how to become a writer. and answer is simple: write. Too many people, I think, are enamored with the idea of being a writer. They don't really want to write--which is actually quite a bit of hard work. I love the gathering of information, interviewing people, then organizing all that information and finally putting it in a format that is understandable and attractive to busy readers. Whether it's writing my own article or coordinating an entire issue of U.S. Catholic, I find it immensely satifsying.

I thought you might enjoy seeing some of my articles that are out there on the web:




6 comments:

Heidijayhawk said...

thanks for all of the links. i am so glad you are writing and that you share that with all of us on this blog.

Anonymous said...

Hi Heidi: You were the writer of "Neighborhood News"--was I the proofreader? You have "privilege" misspelled on your blog (but not in your article). :) So proud of all your accomplishments--writing and otherwise.

flanthrower said...

Brilliant little cover layout!

Great advice on writing. Although I've been told I'm a good writer, I don't think I could do that for a living! It's such hard work!! Not nearly as romantic as people think.

Lucy said...

I agree, a lot of people love the idea of being a writer but not neccessarily the work that goes along with it...which is difficult at times! The secret to most things is to just DO...but it's amazing how often we forget that.

Anonymous said...

I am really enjoying the encyclopedia. Can hardly wait for X. I just know you will have a clever one. I remember the Neighborhood News. Kept you busy for a while.

Love, Mom

Lucy said...

Heidi---I've tried to send you to emails and they keep getting returned because of spam blockers--can you email me on my home email??

johl3 at windstream dot net

I have partner assignment to forward to you for the swap!