Monday, September 24, 2007

"Y" is for yogi

"Before you've practiced, the theory is useless. After you've practiced, the theory is obvious." (Yoga teacher David Williams)


On Sunday I participated in the Global Yoga Mala for Peace. A mala is a yoga practice that consists of 108 (99 plus 9) sun salutations. My friend and yoga teacher Lourdes Paredes used to host a mala every solstice and equinox. It's kind of like the "marathon" of yoga, but its purpose is not to "feel the burn" but rather to do the series of postures so repetitively that it becomes mindless and meditative.
Lourdes was the local organizer of this Mala for Peace, but she decided to just do nine sun salutation, so that yogis of all abilities could participate. We had hoped to line the Magnificent Mile with our mats, but couldn't get the permit, so we did it around Buckingham Fountain and faced Lake Michigan. We easily had more than 300 people.
I have been practicing yoga as long as Lourdes has been teaching--about 7 or 8 years. It is not only a physical practice for me, but also a spiritual one. Through yoga, I learned how to "open my heart" both physically and emotionally (not a coincidence that I met my husband shortly after that.)
You may notice that my "Spiritual Knitter" logo is sitting in lotus position. I don't practice as often as I used to, but I still try to regularly (here). I do know that people who have practiced yoga their whole lives not only are healthier longer, but they ooze a peace that I hope to have someday!
I ended my busy weekend serving as the emcee for the 30th anniversary celebration of Call to Action, a church reform organization based in Chicago. So not much crafting this weekend, though I do have some new projects to share as soon as I finish the Encyclopedia of Me. Only one post left!

2 comments:

Sue said...

So feeling with your heart and not necessarily your head. This is something I struggle with a lot. My head says so, but my heart is slow to follow.

Sounds like you had a great weekend, albeit busy.

Christy said...

Hi Heidi!
I'm so looking forward to seeing you Get to know you questionaire. I can't wait to get started on this swap, it will be so much fun!