Friday, October 05, 2007

20 questions

"When I tell my stories, it gives others permission to tell their own." (Alma Flor Ada, In Sweet Company)




I've been doing some swapping this fall. I joined the Vintage Storybook and Homemade Bookmark Swap and was partnered with Catie at Catiean & Co., who has been struggling with some health problems and who lost much of her vintage book collection in a fire. I was lucky enough to find a vintage Richard Scarry book (Oh, it was so hard to give away!), which she collects. I added some others, including some new books to inspire her, plus this felty leaf bookmark. She should have received it by now.


I also sent a bookmark to Heidi at Absinthe Knits, along with a vintage Heidi book from my collection, when I learned she didn't have one. My plan is to include a list of craft bloggers named "Heidi" in my sidebar. Can you believe I already have four? And yesterday at a workshop, there were three Heidis in a room of 25 people. It's not that common of a name!


I also mailed out my scarves for soldiers to my mom this week, and have a package almost ready for Blair, who forwarded me the Martha Stewart leaf pattern so I could make these (almost done and ready to hang this weekend, I hope).


Finally, since I never miss a swap hosted by Rebecca and Lucy, I joined the Sweet Sister Holiday Swap, but unfortunately my work spam blocker prevented me from getting my partner for a week. But now I know my new "sister" is Christy of Confessions of a Misplaced Southern Belle. I'm sure we were matched because we are both writers and knitters. I've read her 20 questions (from the swap organizers to help us get to know each other better) and now here are mine. It's fun to start getting excited about the holidays coming up!



1. Favorite Color: I love so many! My house is decorated in warm colors mostly: sage green, gold, red, eggplant, pumpkin, though my bedroom is a cool blue. I love pink and black (I dream of a craft room in those colors). I'm not a huge fan of pastels.

2. Chocolate Lover? Milk, Dark, White, or none of the above? I like dark chocolate, but I prefer fruity candy to chocolate.

3. What is your favorite craft hobby? Knitting, though I'm doing more sewing and some embroidery these days. But definitely knitting.

4. What is a craft/art hobby that you would like to start? Not sure I need to start any new projects, but I do wish I knew some rudimentary crochet for when knitting patterns call for it.

5. What craft do you NOT have an interest in or just not great in ( so your partner doesn’t send something you wouldn’t use)? I've only done one scrapbook in my life, and while I wouldn't mind doing another someday, I don't want to collect a bunch of scrapbooking stuff. I only have so much room! I do some occasional stamping, though.

6. Do you have any allergies? (we don’t want to send anything with peanuts if it’ll make you blow up like a balloon!) No food allergies.

7.What’s your favorite part of Halloween? Decorating, candy eating, costumes, or something else? Definitely the candy. I've discovered the new Brach's Candy Apple Candy Corn: yum! I'm pretty low-key with Halloween: I like simple decorations, pumpkins, some cutesy stuff. I'm not really into the vintage, Victorian Halloween stuff. I've never been a big fan of costume parties.


8. Do you decorate for Thanksgiving/Fall? I love fall decorating, though I don't have too much stuff. It's my favorite season, and I love the symbol and motif of leaves and acorns. Fall leaves were the theme for our wedding.


9. December Holidays--what holiday do you celebrate? What type of decorations do you like to put up in your house for that holiday? We celebrate Christmas and St. Nick's Day. Lately my tree has been decorated with gold, silver and crystal ornaments. Our house is small so I can't have too many themes going at once, but I like some vintage stuff and can imagine a pink tree someday!

10. Do you have any children, if so what are their ages, boys/girls? My two kids are in my heart but they haven't arrived from Vietnam and China yet.

11. Do you have any pets, if so what kind? No. As my sister says, I'm lucky not to have the dog-lovers' curse! Probably because I was bit by one when I was a kid.

12. Are you a reader? If so, what type of books do you like? I read for a living, but also like to read for pleasure. Quality fiction, sometimes mindless mysteries, also non-fiction. If it's on the Trade Paperback Bestsellers List, I've read it or want to. I'd appreciate recommendations for good parenting books too or anything on adoption.

13. Are you celebrating a birthday or anniversary in October, November, or December? If so, what day and what is the occasion? Not personally, no.

14. Do you collect anything? If so what type of things do you collect? Yarn and knitting patterns, for one! And fabric and old wool sweaters. My favorite collection is mine of Heidi books: vintage, new, other languages. I also have started collecting vintage aprons, dish towels and other linens.

15. What type of things do you like to cook? Are you an appetizer person, cookie maker, dessert freak or a take out type of person? I'm not a huge cook; in fact, my husband does most of the cooking these days. I like to bake, but can't afford to have baked goods around or I'd be fat! I love to bake at Christmas, though.

16. What is your favorite scent? Is there one that you can’t stand? I stopped wearing perfume years ago (one less step in the morning) but I do like the scent of spicey pumpkin, especially this time of year. (I also love all the pumpkin-flavored coffee, shakes, etc.)

17. What’s your favorite song? Not sure I have one anymore. My favorite band is Everclear, but I also love yoga chant. I'm not a huge music person.

18. What’s the last movie you went to see at the movie theater? How embarassing! I can't even remember! I like to watch movies at home so I can knit. We're Netflix members, but I love old movies on TMC, especially Cary Grant and Doris Day.

19. What’s your favorite Candy? Oh, there are so many! This is my weakness. My favorite is probably those Haribo raspberry candies, but I love anything fruity.

20. Tea or Coffee or other? I went off caffeine about 15 years ago, but still enjoy a cup of decaf in the morning. But in the winter I love to drink different flavored teas (also must be decaf). Does Vanilla Stoli vodka and caffeine-free Diet Coke count as "other"?


Hope that helps, Christy!

5 comments:

Lucy said...

Ha! I've been busted, yes I thought you and your swap partner would make a great team as you seemed to have several things in common :)

I looooove the scent of pumpkin and spice candles and potpourri, and as you said the symbols of fall and the warm colors of it as well :)

Di said...

Good to find out some things about you! Have you ever tried the Panda Raspberry candy you can get in health food shops/Wild Oats type supermarkets - all pure ingredients and taste so raspberry!

Christy said...

Thanks Heidi! This will most certainly help. Hmm, can I ship alcohol over state lines??? lol. ;)

Rebecca said...

Great answers! I have enjoyed reading everyone's 20 questions. I love your leaf garland by the way, that is on my todo list and I have that felted wool you sent me to give it a try! :)

A package is on it's way to your work. :)

catieann said...

hi heidi
i LOVE my felted bookmark and the Richard Scary book. Your entire package was so delightful! you really spoiled me.
Our oldest daughter sarah was here to look through the package with me and she was so excited to see the richard scary book! It was one of her favorites!!!
thank you again for being such a great swap partner heidi.
i also loved your 20 questions! AND the apple carmel candy corn was so yummy!