Monday, October 08, 2007

Ode to fall

“Autumn stands as an epiphany to the truth that all things are passing and even in the passing there is beauty.” (Authors Joyce Rupp and Macrina Wiederkehr, The Circle of Life)

There has been a lot of "autumn love" out there in blogland. Apparently this is a very beloved season for lots of people. I know it is for me. It is what I missed most when I lived in LA. And I'm missing it now, since it's been nearly 90 for the past week here in Chicago in October. Did you hear about all the people passing out at the Chicago Marathon. How sad.

I love fall because I like new beginnings, like new school years, and I was a brownie-type student who loved getting new pencils and notebooks. I also love football, so fall is great for that. Later in life I connected with the weird juxtosposition of grief and loss with majesty from the colors, all symbolized by the falling leaves in autumn. Seasonal spirituality has been a big thing for me, ever since I got involved with a center of feminine spirituality.

So I finally finished my felt leaf garland. I'm so happy with how they turned out (I ended up embroidering the "veins" in them.) I still have a few packages of fall colored felt in my etsy shop. If you buy it and want a copy of Martha Stewart's leaf pattern, I'd be happy to send it to you. It helps that my walls are autumn gold, don't you think?

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Beautiful leaf garland! Got to run to finance committee meeting at church. Go Phillies!

Love, Mom

Heidi said...

I love it! It looks really pretty with your walls & your curtains. :)

knit_tgz said...

I love love them. I think I will mail you on etsy!

Heidijayhawk said...

thanks for spreading the fall love along! love the leaves.

Di said...

Autumn is a great season -it means long dark nights coming when it is ok to stay home with friends and knit.....I love the leaf garland it looks great above your window!

jungle dream pagoda said...

Count me in on the autumnal love! that garland is great!

Blair said...

Hi Heidi! I got a wonderful package of felt from you, and I love the bookmark. So generous, its all gorgeous, I love it. Your leaf garland looks beautiful too. Thanks so much!