Saturday, October 27, 2007

What do we want? Peace!

"All we are saying is give peace a chance." (The Beatles)

I spent today as thousands of Americans did: protesting this illegal and immoral war in Iraq, where so many innocent people have been killed. And now this administration thinks we need another war, in Iran. It's time to take back our country!

My niece Clare showing what the next generation thinks!


Our whole group. Does it look like the '60s or what?


Sears Tower in the background.

My sister and I. Her sign says "Librarians for peace. Books, not bombs." She got lots of positive comments about it. Her T-shirt says, "I will not raise my child to kill your child." I got it for her at the SOA protest.

Homemade signs from the Manion clan.



Edmund and I protesting together. I'm so lucky to be married to someone with such strong values.

Tuckered out protesters at the end of the day.

I'm so proud of my sister, who brought her three kids plus three more all the way from the suburbs to downtown Chicago for this protest. She is such a great role model for her kids, and they seem to be learning the importance of peace from her. Here's praying someone in Washington is listening...

4 comments:

Lucy said...

I'm proud of you, too, Heidi, for not being afraid to take a stand for what you believe in.

Heidijayhawk said...

so awesome that you are taking a stand for what you believe in. way to go!

Anonymous said...

Hey Heidi! Great pictures. Thanks for marching with us and helping us navigate the city. I fell asleep on the train on the way home! My kids thought it was fun and want to do it again. I said I hope we *don't* have to do it again. But I will keep answering the call until this illegal and immoral war is over. It's hard not to get discouraged after almost 5 years of protesting this. Thanks for your hopefulness and optimism.--Amy

Rebecca said...

Thank you for speaking so loudly for what you believe in. It's so wonderful to have your family with you, too. Wonderful pictures. Thank you