Thursday, November 29, 2007

Babies, babies everywhere

"A miracle, my friend, is an event which creates faith." (George Bernard Shaw)


OK, my list of people to knit baby things for is growing faster than I can knit. In the past two weeks we learned that two friends are pregnant, including our good friends Jenny and Jon, who recently moved to California. Also, Ed's friends Dan and Lin. And our former neighbors John and Leigh Ann had a beautiful baby girl this week: Josephine Virginia. Those old-fashioned names are back in! They're going to call her Jovie.


This sweater was finished and sent to my friend Kristi, who is due at the end of December. It's my first "kimono" style baby sweater, which I learned means that you have to knit two big fronts! I also had to do a chain stitch crochet for the ties. My crochet is very amateurish, and Kristi is a crocheter so I hope she overlooks that. I used this Bunny Hop Side Wrap Kimono pattern from Crystal Palace and Bernat's Cotton Tots yarn in a sunny Lemon. The trim is supposed to be two colors, but I just used a varigated cotton in blue/cream.


We're always happy for friends who are expecting, but sometimes it's hard, too. Will we ever be parents? It's hard to hold onto hope going into our fourth year of trying (one year of infertility, and now two years of adoption wait). Most days I get through by not thinking about it, but I know Ed is having a hard time with it these days. The holidays are always hard, too, especially since we have to admit that we may not have a child by next Christmas either.

Sometimes I have to stop and deal with my own pain, which may involve needing to try to forget all the friends who are enjoying their new babies. But usually there's at least one person that I really want to make something pretty and handmade for their new little one. I've got several on my list right now, but I'll take a break in the next month to do Christmas gift knitting. Then maybe in January I can knit baby sweaters again.




6 comments:

Di said...

I love the sweater!

I am always hoping and praying for good news on your blog with regards to adoption and I will continue to do so until it happens!

Heidijayhawk said...

keep your head up sweet friend. the sweet bundle meant for your family simply isn't here quite yet. awesome sweater. my thoughts and prayers are always with you and i hope that the holidays can bring you some joy and hope.

Anonymous said...

Heidi-
Thanks for all the love you knitted into the beautiful sweater for our soon to be born baby. We are so blessed to have you in our lives.
xo Kristi

robiewankenobie said...

it really does suck that you don't have a baby yet. you so should have your baby! i have a number of friends who have been where you are who are now swimming in baby goodness. i can't wait until that happens for y'all, too.

catieann said...

hi heidi
your sweater is beautiful. ANd your friendship and support of all your friends speaks volumes of the person you are! You will be the best mom ever. Just keep the faith and know that God is working on the perfect family for the perfect parents!
big hugs and love
catie

said...

what a lovely baby sweater:)