Friday, November 16, 2007

The "C" word

"Hope, like faith, is nothing if it is not courageous; it is nothing if it is not ridiculous." (Thornton Wilder)

Why does it seem like everyone has cancer? My father-in-law was diagnosed two years ago, and thankfully, so far has been cancer-free since his surgery. My cousin's daughter had a rare cancer a few years ago, and she, too, is doing fine these days. One of my best friends had breast cancer about five years ago; her sister had died from it. Now my sister's sister-in-law (her husband's oldest sister) has been diagnosed with Stage 4 ovarian cancer. She is the mother of two kids: a boy in high school and a younger girl, and is now going through the absolute strongest chemo and radiation possible to kick it. We have been praying for her like mad, and hope you will join in and keep her in your prayers too. Her name is Marcy.

I knit her this hat (she expects to lose her hair) from this Chunky Cabled Beanie pattern. It was my first time doing cables and it really was quite easy (just like my friend Kaycee told me!) I was a little nervous because Marcy is a rather experienced knitter, so I hope she's not inspecting this for flaws (it seems a bit loose; probably should have used slightly smaller needles). I used the super softest yarn I could find: that new Bernat Bamboo in the Wicker colorway.

Speaking of the "C" word (that would be "Cancer" not "Cables"), I ordered this cute patchwork potholder from Jennifer at The Felt Mouse, whose family has been affected by pancreatic cancer. Apparently the "color" for pancreatic cancer is purple, so she made these purple potholders to raise money for research. (She still has three for sale in her shop. A bargain at $8!)
In her tag, she notes that pancreatic cancer has the lowest survival rate and it is the fourth leading cause of cancer death in the U.S., yet the Nation Cancer Institute spends only 1 percent of its budget on pancreatic research. Thanks, Jennifer, for doing your part to help rectify that.

Movies to knit by: In keeping with his theme of only ordering sad movies from Netflix, Ed got us A Mighty Heart, the film starring Angelina Jolie as Marianne Pearl, wife of murdered journalist Daniel Pearl. While his story is compelling, the movie didn't do much for me. I already knew what was going to happen, and the film didn't really reveal that much about the characters: He was the perfect man; they had the perfect marriage. I suppose that happens when you make a film too quickly after someone's death.

On the TMC and Retro channels, I recently watched The Enchanted Cottage (1945), which I loved. The whole message that love can turn ugly ducklings into swans, at least in the eyes of their beloved, was a touching one. Then last night I saw Ninotchka (1939), a classic with Greta Garbo. Strange coincidence: this movie was a clue in yesterday's crossword puzzle I do every morning.

To keep yourself cancer-free, schedule the screenings recommended for your age. I just made my mammogram and pap smear appointments today.

2 comments:

Sarah and Jack said...

Oh man. We seem to have a lot of cancer in our family also. My FIL has been battling prostate cancer for 5 years and things are not looking great right now. :-(

Heidijayhawk said...

your not kidding. one of my best friends just got diagnosed with stage 4 ovarian cancer. the hat is lovely and such a great idea.