Friday, November 09, 2007

Sock it to me!

"Remove the sandals from your feet, for the place on which you are standing is holy ground." (Exodus 3:5)

Ta da! My first pair of handknit socks! I started these last winter. I don't know why it took me so long to finish them; partly because I'm always knitting gifts for other people that seem more pressing than a pair of socks for myself.

(Traditional blog shot of socks from above)

I used a basic sock pattern my mom gave me; it was attributed to Ruth Blazenko of Calgary, Alberta, Canada. They yarn was also from my mom, and she got it for $5 at one of her knitting group meetings. It's called Regia from Italy, and the colors are bright orange, red purple and green. Not exactly the colors I'd pick, but they're fun.

I know some people knit socks almost exclusively. I didn't find turning the heel to be that difficult (although each sock has a boo-boo, luckily in hard-to-see areas). I definitely like wearing hand-knit socks, and it's a nice portable project and I know there are lots of gorgeous patterns out there. I don't think my next pair will take a year. (And I have enough yarn left over to make a pair of kiddie socks.)

I made pumpkin leek soup on Sunday and have been enjoying it for lunch this week. This recipe called for lime sour cream to top it. Yum. Now it finally feels like fall, and the leaves are finally turning colors here in Chicago.

5 comments:

Christy said...

Congrats on your first pair of socks! May there be many more in your future! They look fabulous!

Jennifer said...

Your first pair of socks looks like a resounding success! Congrats!

I spent all summer telling myself I'd knit my first pair. I don't have any excuses, one of my secret pals even sent me a kit with yarn, needles, and a pattern to get me started. Still haven't cast on for them. I guess I didn't wear socks much during the summer. Now that it's getting colder here I wish I was in your shoes, ummmm, socks. I have so much Christmas and baby knitting to do that it might be spring before I get to them. Maybe I'll get them done in time to wear them at the hospital...

They look awesome!

Patsy said...

I love knit soxs too,have you read my latest blog?aunt Pat

Rebecca said...

They look great! I have yet to finish a pair I started last year, too! I think I'll add that to my "January List" LOL.

Renee said...

Mmmm, pumpkin leek soup! Sounds like a fabulous fall dinner.