Monday, December 03, 2007

Cookie monsters

"The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched. They must be felt with the heart." (Helen Keller)

2,290--that's how many cookies the Schlumpf women baked over Cookie Baking Weekend, held last weekend at my mom's in Wisconsin. I blogged about this last year and included our yummy Sugar Cookie Recipe. We made all the favorites, as pictured above on the first cookie plate of the season. As usual, Ed went for the pecan bars first, and I ate all the sugar cookies.

We Schlumpf women take traditions seriously! This started as a way for us to get all our holiday baking done while enjoying each other's company. Now it's a full-fledged tradition complete with its own T-shirts! Our old ones were getting a little tattered so my sister Amy made these cute ones this year, highlighting the six traditional cookies that my Mom has been making since we were kids: Creme de Menthe Balls, Thumbprints, Wreathes (Spritz), Gingerbread Boys and Girls, Christmas Trees (also Spritz), and Sugar Cookie Cutouts. In addition, we each brought a kind already made.

Attending this year were (from left) my Aunt Pat, Mom, Heidi, Amy and niece Clare. Notice we're all still in our PJs! We made the non-bake Creme de Menthe Balls on Friday night and stirred up the dough that needed to be refrigerated. Then we started the hard work on Saturday around 9:30 a.m. (late start). Guess what time we frosted our last cookie? 1 a.m.! Then we stayed up and had a Tom & Jerry, which put us right to sleep!

My Aunt Pat brought gifts: these cute handmade gingerbread potholders, and baskets made of fabric-wrapped clothesline, and filled with nuts. My mom gave us a big Sugar Cookie scented candle, and Amy brought the T-shirts. A great time was had by all and we all went home with our share of the 2,290 cookies!

15 comments:

Patsy said...

Even I enjoyed the blog,the pictures are great.
I am recovering.

Lucy said...

I remember your post about this cooking baking marathon last year and loved hearing it about it again. I think it's a great tradition that you and the ladies of the clan have started! What fun! Enjoy the cookies-you must have a ton!

Amy said...

Hi cookie bakers and Heidi's blogfriends: What a fun weekend. I've given away 7 cookie plates already! And of course the boys devoured many when we got home. Wow, Clare and Heidi look like each other in the picture. Andy put the lights up while we were gone. It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas! Thanks for hosting, Mom. Love, Amy

Anonymous said...

Great article about the weekend. It was fun. Dad and I just sat down and ate one of each kind. Thanks for all the help. Love to Ed.

Love, Mom

Christy said...

Holy cookie! That's a lot of baking. They look yummy!

Di said...

Sounds like a great tradition and I love all those cookies!!!

Renee said...

What a fun post, Heidi! It sounds like a fabulous weekend for the Schlumpf women. My mom and I made cookies last night too: Polish rosky (my grandma's recipe) and Rice Krispie treats topped with melted Frango mint baking pieces and sprinkles.(Mmmm so good. I wanted to boycott Macy's but I still couldn't resist the Frangos.)

Mizfixit said...

What a lovely family tradition!

But WOW! 190 dozen cookies??? I'm exhausted just thinking about all the work that went into it!
I haven't baked cookies for the holidays in forever...this will be the year I start baking again! That's no small feat since it is widely known that I don't cook.
Thanks for the inspiration! :)

Rebecca said...

I was wondering when the Schlumpf Women Cookie-a-thon would be! I love this tradition, it looks like you guys have a FABULOUS time and I bet the young women in your family can't WAIT to be old enough to get invited to join. I know that's how I would feel!

I'm having a mini cookie-a-thon with two friends this weekend. I will certainly think of your band of girls while baking!

hugs

VaxGirl said...

Oh I love this tradition! I wish my family would do something like this. I think I may try to bribe, er influence them. They look so yummy too!

Jill said...

I can imagine how much fun you girls must have! What a wonderful tradition! Love the photo... jammies and all! Thank you for being a part of the celebration... I am hungry for some of those delicious cookies!!!
Merry Christmas!
Jill

Vickie said...

How fun. That was something my mom liked to do to. It was always neat to see all the cookies.

Mary Timme said...

Oh What a fun tradition. I'm the only female in our family that is left, but this looks like such fun!

Leslie said...

Yikes! That's a lot of cookies! Zero. That's the number of cookies baked here. What a wonderful tradition!

Lea said...

What a fun thing you all do together! I see some there that bring back memories for me, oh I so loved my Dorothy's sugar cookies and the way she decorated them! Thank you so for sharing this with us all!