Sunday, January 27, 2008

Babies R Us

"The more one gives to others, the more one possesses of one's own." (Lao Tzu, Tao-te Ching)

I can tell already that this is going to be a year of knitting baby sweaters. If I thought all my friends were pregnant while I was going through infertility and starting the adoption process, that was just a warm-up for this year. For example, about six people I know are due in April alone!

Here is the first baby sweater of the year. It's the same as this one here (I needed a quick tried and true pattern, plus I had the yarn on hand.) It's for Dan and Linh, who are due in mid-February. Dan was in a theology group with Ed at St. Clement's, and his wife, Linh, who is Vietnamese-American, has been so sweet in helping us with any Vietnam questions. So I wanted to do something special for her (besides the sweater), so on the day of the shower I found this pattern for a knitted rat. The Year of the Rat begins in a few weeks so her baby will be born in that lunar year (unless he/she is early!). Linh's family appreciated it, and I may knit one for our kids. It only took about an hour.


Speaking of babies, one reason I haven't blogged much in the past week is that I spent four days in Florida last weekend with my friend Kristin and her little boy, Lincoln (cutest baby ever--till I have my own), hosted by her parents in Delray Beach. It was 80 degrees and sunny the first two days, but cloudy and cold the second two.



No worries: I stayed in and started another baby sweater (below) for our neighbor's baby Jovie. The one I gave her at her shower was too miniature, so I thought she deserved something she could actually wear. And I wanted to knit something girly, so I'm using Yarn Harlot's pattern, and I think I'm going to try adding the daisies. I also adjusted it a bit so that the seed stitch edge is 5 stitches or rows deep, rather than 3. The yarn is a peach soft wool store brand wool for Joann's that I got for $2 something a skein.

One final bit of exciting news: I'm typing this post on our new computer! Ed and I have been limping along with a very old computer (which we bought used from the above-mentioned neighbors) for almost a year now. We had already replaced the cord and it broke again, so we decided to just bite the bullet and buy a new laptop. I love using my mom's Compaq Presario at her house, so we got that and so far I love it. It was pretty cheap ($650) but I am embarrassed to say we got it at Wal-Mart (Ed bought it online, and I didn't know.) I usually avoid Wal-mart because they are not a very progressive employer, but I have read that they're making some improvements. I suppose it's not that much worse than Best Buy and I guess it's hard to buy a computer from a non-big-box store. (This from a woman who buys most of her yarn from Michael's.) That old liberal guilt rears its ugly head!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Heidi, I have been watching your blog to see if you got a computer. I used my laptop today at the Optimist Club poker tournament and one of the guys was really enamored with the screen. Yes, I hate to buy at WalMart, but their presciptions ar ethe lowest and although we have prescription insurance, I feel it is the right thing to do to help keep insurance rates low so people like you will continue to have insurance. I finished my purple sweater, am having trouble sticking at weaving in the ends but hope to post it soon. I started a really neat cardigan. Will bring it along skiing. Have a really good example for you to practice with for learning to knit with a chart.

Love, Mom

Renee said...

Your Florida trip sounds fun, Heidi. Where did you go? I just got back from three days on Sanibel Island! It was fabulous but then it was soooo depressing to see the snow on the ground when our plane landed in Columbus.

Rebecca said...

As usualy, a gorgeous sweater! I'm crocheting one currently that is about the same style. I plan to knit the next one. I have two babies arrving in the spring so I'd better get to it! :)

Congrats on the new computer and I buy most of my yarn at Michaels too. :)

Victoria said...

I adore that rat.

Sue said...

Congratulations on your new computer. I just got one, too! The sweater is gorgeous, Heidi. I guess we will be comparing baby sweaters again this year because like you, there's lots of baby knitting going to be happening around here, as well. Thanks for the constant inspiration.

And congratulations on your new job!!!