Wednesday, January 02, 2008

Eve of the eve

"All change is a miracle to contemplate, but it is a miracle which is taking place every instant." (Thoreau)

Ed and I met through an organization called Highsight, which offers scholarships and tutoring and mentoring to inner-city high school students. Their biggest fundraiser is a huge black-tie event at Chicago's Union Station called Eve of the Eve (because it's on the night before New Year's Eve). I knew Ed was the one for me when he returned early from his Christmas home to take me to Eve of the Eve the first year we were dating.


This year we went to another "Eve of the Eve" party--a fancy wedding of Ed's friend Joe Canavan. It was held at Old St. Joseph's, a historic church in downtown Philadelphia with the beautiful reception at the Ben Franklin Center. Ed's parents (above) also went, since they are friends with the Canavans.

I finished most of my Christmas knitting while in Philadelphia (one pair of socks for Ed's dad to go). Here are Trish and Marge posing with their felted wool mittens made with a pattern from my mom. These are the warmest mittens ever. I made grey ones with red trim for Ed's mom and lime green ones with fuscian trim for Ed's sister.

I plan on doing some "year in review" and goals for 2008 but haven't had the chance yet. Once home from Philly, we're off to Wisconsin for a ski trip with my family. Non-stop fun, I'm telling you. And let the baby sweater knitting of 2008 begin.



2 comments:

Di said...

I like the idea of an Eve of Eve party!

Your mittens look great! I remember knitting huge mittens to felt that looked live oven gloves before I felted them!

Anonymous said...

Heidi, I hope you get home soon. I'm sure you will blog about the terrible time you had south of Madison in the fog. Ed's mom and dad look wonderful. Thanks for sending the pictures.

Love, Mom