Wednesday, January 09, 2008

Thank you note

“Wake at dawn with a winged heart and give thanks for another day of loving." (Lebanese poet Kahlil Gibran)

Does anyone write thank you notes anymore? I do, and I know my sister has taught her kids to write them. Even when they were really little, they would dictate them to her and she would write them. Some were so cute! My friend Kristin also writes thank you notes in the voice of her 1-year-old and I'm sure he'll be writing them as soon as he is able. This is a practice I would like my children to acquire early on.

I haven't written my Christmas ones yet, but I wanted to post some of my awesome gifts, especially the ones related to my creative pursuits. The most creative gift was this purse made from an old book ("Heidi," of course!) that my sister gave me. You might recall that I collect Heidi books. The artist, Caitlin from Rebound Designs, did a beautiful job, though I'm mad now that I see how much sister paid. Of course, my immediate thought is, "I could make that!" Don't be surprised if I try! The purse is sitting on the most adorable apron from my in-laws from my fave store that I never shop at: Anthropologie. Thanks, Marge and Ed (and Trish for picking it out). I wore it around the house in Philadelphia, even though I wasn't cooking!

I also had two knitting book gifts: My sister-in-law gave me Yarn Harlot: The Secret Life of a Knitter, Stephanie Pearl-McPhee's first book. And she's not even a knitter! Thanks, Trish! My mom also lent me her copy of the Yarn Harlot's latest, Stephanie Pearl-McPhee Casts Off. Finally my Aunt Pat gave me No Sheep for You: Knit Happy with Cotton, Silk, Linen, Hemp, Bamboo and Other Delights by Amy Singer, which I can't wait to start reading. Will share more about that book later. Thanks, Aunt Pat!


The biggest gift was a weekend ski trip from my parents for our family. Here are some photos of us at Granite Peak in Wausau, Wisconsin. The hill was awesome and the weather perfect on the first day. But Sunday was rainy, so we decided not to ski and left after a nice brunch (gift from my sister and brother-in-law--Thanks!)

That's my parents. (My dad is very proud of his bright blue cowboy hat from the 1970s with pins from all the places he's skied.) I'm proud of them for still skiing even though they're in the mid-60s! They get a senior discount, and they should! Photo below is my sister's kids on the chairlift. They are all great skiers (at 10, 12, and 15) and got along really well this weekend.

On the way home, Ed and I just missed a huge multi-car pileup accident on the 90 just south of Madison. At least two people died in this accident and we were only nine cars away from it. We were driving in really heavy fog and had just remarked that this is the kind of weather that results in those huge pileups, when we saw brake lights and slowed down to a complete stop. After awhile, we saw people walking so went up and saw that just nine cars ahead of us was the last car in the pileup in the ditch. We were stuck on the freeway for over three hours, but I wasn't complaining, because I was grateful to be alive with an untotaled car.

8 comments:

Rebecca said...

I try to write thank you notes as often as I can and my friend Nina ALWAYS sends them. Especially after she's come for a visit. :)

I'm curious about the "no sheep"knitting book. Please do a review!!

Your parents are adorable! Love your Dad's hat. :)

Lucy said...

Looks like a wonderful family vacation! I agree with Rebecca, your parents look adorable together and your Dad's hat is the best.

What a close call for you with the accident. How scary!

Anonymous said...

Hey Heidi: Did you see there is a Bookhouse book purse on her site? Please don't take that as a hint that I want you to buy it or try to make one for me, because I don't want one. I just wondered if you saw it. Great to see your photos. I love when we get to see pix of the Butlers since we don't get to see them in person very often. That apron looks really neat! I'm feeling guilty because we haven't started thank you notes yet! I'd better get going! I have many people to thank for so many nice things!--Amy

catieann said...

i love to write thank you notes as well. My kids always wrote them and still do!! Now they are teaching their children the same thing. Yahoo.
I LOVE the heidi purse. who special. catie

linda t said...

Hi Heidi!
I moved to Phx. from WI many years ago, but we go back there every year. My best friend lives in Wausau, so we have been there many times. We took my parents to Rib Mountain last year and took some pics similar to ones they had taken over 55 years ago while they were on a date at Rib Mt.!!
Miss my family and my beloved WI!

Heidi said...

Heidi, just wanted to let you know that I tried to send you a response email for the Heart Swap but it got bounced back because of your firewall. You're in, of course! :) We may have to send your partner email from another box, or you may want to add heartswap2008@hotmail.com to your safe senders list if that's a possibility.

Anonymous said...

Dear Heidi, great pictures of the Christmas presents and the skiing. GO PACKERS. LAMBEAU on the 20th!

Love, Mom

~*~Tamy ~*~ said...

I still write thank you notes as follow up with a phone call when possible. I seriously appreciate mom's like you who want to pass on good manners to the children. I recently wrote a blog entry on this very subject.
http://3sidesofcrazy.blogspot.com/2008/01/does-anyone-remember-emily-post-or-is.html