Friday, February 01, 2008

My news

"When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves." (Victor Frankl)

I can finally publicly tell my news: I have a new job. I am going to be a college teacher, an associate professor of communications at Aurora University, which is in Aurora, a suburb of Chicago. I will be teaching writing and journalism (among other things) primarily to adult students in evening classes. I will be an associate professor, not an adjunct, although not on the tenure track. It's really cool how AU has these clinical track professors who are expected to stay active in their field (journalism, for me) but still are full-time professors with all the other perks except for tenure. I am so excited--and nervous, too, since this is a new field for me. But everyone there seems so nice and eager to help me succeed. I am so grateful to my brother-in-law, who is the provost there, for suggesting this as a possible new career path for me.

But this means I am leaving U.S. Catholic, where I have been an editor for almost eight years. I love this magazine and think it's the best Catholic publication out there. I have the utmost respect for the other editors I have worked with and for the Claretians, the religious order that sponsors it. And I am proud of the work I've done there, especially in the last several years as managing editor. But ultimately the corporate culture in our larger organization has changed in such a way that isn't that great of a fit for my personality. And I will need a job with more flexibility for when Sam and Sophie come along. My hope is that my new job as a professor will allow me the opportunity to do some writing for the magazine, so I won't really be completely gone. I gave my notice today, so my last day will be February 15. So I'm going to be busy wrapping things up and getting ready for my first class, which starts in March. Academia, here I come!

13 comments:

Sarah and Jack said...

Congratulations Heidi! Excellent news.

Heidi said...

Great news! I wish you well on your new adventure!

Lucy said...

Congratulations on this exciting news! Perhaps this is the first of many new things to come your way in 2008! I wish you much success in this new position!

Di said...

Wow - that's excellent news! I hope that you enjoy every second of it!!

Pat K said...

Many many best wishes for success and happiness!

Heidi (http://journals.aol.com/hwoodred/everyday-cookies/) said...

bCongrats! My goodness, that's very cool news! What a big change for you! I'll be you do great and once you get settle in I'm sure you'll have lots of good reports for us! Hope you have time to pick up your "needles" now and then!
*Heidi*
Everyday Cookies

Anonymous said...

Yay Heidi! We can hardly wait until you're here!--Amy

flanthrower said...

Congrats on the new job! That's very exciting news.

Anonymous said...

Dear Heidi, congratulations on the new job. I think eight or nine of my aunts or uncles were teachers, not to mention your mom, dad and grandmother! I hope we can continue to read your great articles in US Catholic. (We are at Nancy and Judy's and leave this morning for the cold country. See you skiing.)

Love, Mom

Renee said...

Heidi, I'm really going to miss having you at U.S. Catholic, but I was so happy to hear about what sounds like a wonderful next step for you! Like your mom, I hope readers will still be able to enjoy your articles in USC. (Perhaps now you will have more time to write!)

Rebecca said...

CONGRATULATIONS! Can we call you Professor Smurf now? ;)

Seriously, what an exciting new path to follow!

Beth said...

Congratulations on your new job!

Victoria said...

Big congratulations!