Monday, February 04, 2008

Yes we can!

"I'm asking you to believe, not just in my ability to bring about change in Washington ... I'm asking you to believe in yours." (Barack Obama)

I just got home from working the phone banks at Obama headquarters here in Chicago. I was so inspired by the hundreds of volunteers there, all sitting on the floor using their cell phones to call people all over the country and remind them to vote for Obama on Super Tuesday. I talked to many wonderful people in New Mexico and New Jersey and nearly everyone I reached said they were supporting Barack. I've never felt this excited about a presidential candidate in my entire voting life!

After eight years of George Bush, I really believe this country needs a leader with integrity. And while no one is perfect, I believe Obama has that integrity and can bring our country together to deal with the many challenges facing us. In some ways, I believe the divisiveness among Americans is as threatening to our well-being as are terrorists. And Obama can help overcome that divisiveness. Not to mention that I am excited to vote for what I hope will be our first African American president (I would love to vote for our first woman president, too, but am less excited about her because of her early support for the war.)

If you want to learn more about Obama, visit his website. And if you're a supporter, join Julieree and become a "Crafter for Obama." Listen to some of his speeches, or watch this video, and tell me you don't get inspired! And if you're in a Super Tuesday state, don't forget to vote!



Update: I just found the Knitters for Obama group over at Ravelry. Come join!

4 comments:

Sarah and Jack said...

So, here is my burning question for the day. We are registered Democrats, and usually, the phone calls we get are for Democrats. But for 4 days straight Republicans have been calling my house NON STOP. What gives? Where do these call lists come from? Did some wise guy put my number on a Republican list? LOL

Lucy said...

Heidi--do you have a new email with your job change? If so, please email me with it :)

johl3 at windstream dot net

I came across this link that I thought might be a project idea for you to expand upon (if you like it). A new use for the felted sweaters you have acquired:
http://blog.craftzine.com/archive/2008/02/kids_sweater_apron_tutorial.html?CMP=OTC-5JF307375954

Anonymous said...

Hi Heidi: Great job on the phone banking. It has been really neat to see the young people I work with be so excited about the upcoming election. Most of them are Obama fans and as you now know Illinoisans turned out for him in force. Yes we can!--Amy

Heidijayhawk said...

i am soooo glad you are working up there! i worked the kansas caucus last night! we were expecting 100 at our location and ended up with 2500. seriously. heading over right now!