Saturday, April 05, 2008

Basic baby sweater

"Be true to your work, your word and your friend." (Thoreau)

Wow, I can't believe I haven't posted since Easter! Sorry. The new job has kept me busy, and I've been scrambling with some knitting projects, with no time to post about knitting. Just in time, I finished my basic baby sweater in a new yarn: Lion's Cotton-Ease, which many have raved about. I really liked knitting with it, and I know the new parents (Kaycee and Eric, pictured below at their shower last weekend) will appreciate that it is washable. However, it was a bit bulkier than my gauge called for, so I just "winged" it and added length. I think it turned out OK, though the sleeves look a little short (and skinny) to me and my seaming at the armpit is less than perfect. Oh well. (Also, it still needs buttons.)

Kaycee and Erik (part of my second family) are expecting at the end of May and just bought a new house in Oak Park. I drove all the way to Michigan for her shower, even though she only lives a few miles from me. But it was worth to see other Misiewiczs, including baby Conrad (left).

My handknit sweater was nothing compared to the entire knitted layette made by Eric's mom. She used yellow yarn from the stash of Kaycee's grandmother, who died this year. We all got teary-eyed when she opened that gift. It was almost like Grandma Dee had knit it herself. Another cool thing Eric's mom did was to wrap up a big box of Eric's baby clothes, including the outfit he came home from the hospital in and his baptism outfit. Some of the retro 70s clothes would still be worn, if they have a boy!

Now, on to the approximately 10 other baby gifts I need to knit before summer. Any suggestions? I've got baby socks on the needles right now.

4 comments:

Di said...

I love your little cardigan and the idea of baby showers - we really don't do them in the UK!

How about a toy? I seem to have only been knitting toys recently, the kiwi, the duckling, the unicorn.....my mum knits every new baby a Christmas stocking with Santa Claus' face on it and the baby's name embroidered on it.

Lucy said...

I'm a blanket type of person--I loved the few blankets I received that were either sewn or knitted (or crochet) for my boys. ((10 gifts...holy cow))!

Hope your new job is going well!!

Victoria said...

I love that story about the grandmother's yarn.
I agree, you can't go wrong with knitting a blanket. One of my most treasured baby gifts ever is pram blanket knitted in insane colors by my Grnadma. I will keep it forever!

Victoria said...

p.s. sorry about the spelling!