Monday, April 21, 2008

Spring has sprung!

"You can cut all the flowers but you cannot keep spring from coming." (Pablo Neruda)

I know my mother-in-law (Hi, Marge!) is bored with all these knitting photos, but at least these relate to someone she knows! This baby blanket is for Baby Isabel, the surprise third child of our friends Jenny and Jon, who moved last year to Stanford. We miss them so much, but hope that their new baby (due the end of May) will feel warm and loved in this snuggly blanket. It's made out of Lion's Watercolor yarn (now discontinued) in pink and purple. I love the color shadings in this yarn, plus it was on clearance (good, since it took 13 skeins) and is washable.

I also made her a little hat and booties. Aren't they the cutest? I just used some stash cotton yarn in a purple/green/blue colorway and happened to have the perfect green buttons to match (from a thrifted, now felted, cardigan). Pattern for Saartje's booties here. This is my new fave booties pattern, for girls anyway.

Movies to knit by: I finished these over the weekend while watching The Black Book, about the end of World War II in the Netherlands. This is one of the best movies I've seen in a long time. I high recommend it, even though it has some violent parts. I also watched a TCM on-demand movie last night, Only Angels Have Wings, with my fave Cary Grant. I was knitting a special birthday gift for Trish, my sister-in-law who is visiting us this weekend. We're so excited that she's visiting, plus it's giving us an excuse to do some major spring cleaning.

Speaking of spring, see those flowers in the box behind the hat and booties? We probably jumped the gun, planting flowers in April in Chicago, but we wanted a little color on our deck for Trish's visit.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Cute booties! Can I have the pattern. You probably will be bringing the flowers in and out of your condo for the next couple of weeks, but that is OK, you will get to enjoy them longer. Be sure to check your e-mail. I sent you a link about a vintage apron display at the Lake Country Gallery in North Lake.

Love, Mom

Di said...

I have made both the little hat and the booties - they are great to knit!! I am sure that the baby will love the snuggly blanket!