Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Felt food

"I have on my office door these words from an accomplished Indian yogi: 'Before speaking, consider whether it is an improvement upon silence.' " (Philip Simmons in Learning to Fall)

Nothing says spring like fresh strawberries, and I have been eating a bunch in the past few weeks. But look closely: these aren't real! I have discovered felt food and I'm in love with it! Looking to make something besides another flower pin to include as a little gift to my etsy customers, I decided to try a stuffed strawberry. I based it somewhat on Martha's pincushion design here, but changed it a bit (rolled a felt rectangle for the stem, added beads). Aren't they so cute?

I know many crafters in the "softies community" have been making these for years. Just search "felt food" in etsy and you'll see so many cute options. Many of them are marketed as creative toys for kids (much better than plastic food!) So now I'm on a roll and want to whip up a whole (play) kitchen's worth! Next up: probably pears.

I'll start a list here of cute felt food on the internet:
I also have some patterns for knitted food, so between the two media, I should be able to make a whole grocery store's worth. I hope to have some more to post soon.

4 comments:

Heidi said...

Heidi, they're adorable!!

Renee said...

Oh my, I love these, Heidi! In our kitchen I have a glass cake stand and when there aren't any homemade baked goods in it I fill it with felt donuts (including a longjohn) I bought from Sew Crafty -- another great felt food maker.

I'm so glad to hear you've been enjoying teaching!

Lucy said...

I agree--these are as cute as can be!

Anonymous said...

Those look good enough to eat. Can hardly wait to see the rest.

Love, Mom