Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Our big news--finally!!!!!!

"We are made to persist. That is how we find out who we are." (Tobias Wolff)

Despite my creeping depression and increasingly frequent tears, I continued to knit a few things for the children we hope to adopt someday. I made this teddy bear from some Lions Brand Polarfleece from my Aunt Pat (horrible to knit with but super soft) and I'm in the process of an off-white baby sweater of bamboo yarn that I plan to keep for Sam and Sophie.

Maybe, even though my head and heart were losing hope, my hands were holding onto my last bit of it by knitting these items. Because Friday morning we got THE CALL. Yes, the call saying we have been matched with a 7-month-old boy from Ho Chi Minh City. We are excited, somewhat stunned, and a little cautious, since he must pass one more investigation from the U.S. government before we have permission to travel to go get him, hopefully sometime this summer.
Read all about it on our adoption site.

I also had knit an extra knitted rat (while making one for Jennifer) just in case our child was born in the Year of the Rat. But Sam was born last year, which was the Year of the Golden Pig, an especially lucky year, according to the lunar calendar. So I guess I need to find a knitted pig pattern. (Knitted and felted one here and a sewn one from Wee Wonderfuls here.)

Meanwhile, I've been collecting some patterns for cute knitted toys to knit for Sam and eventually Sophie. Feel free to make any recommendations to add to the list.

12 comments:

Di said...

Oh oh oh!! I am keeping all my extremities and my eyes crossed for you (making typing this quite difficult!)

I love the bear and I am sure Sam will too....

All my positive vibes are heading your way!

Sarah and Jack said...

Oh Heidi!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am about to cry for you. Speechless really.

Working Mom Knits said...

Lighting a candle and saying a prayers of thanksgiving!

Heidijayhawk said...

i can't believe it!!! my heart jumped for joy for you!!! prayers are still going!

Pat K said...

Hurrah and three cheers!

Lucy said...

This is absolutely wonderful news!! I'm so happy for you and DH. :) I have tears of joy as well for you!

Heidi (http://journals.aol.com/hwoodred/everyday-cookies/) said...

How good is God! What good news!
I'm so happy for you two!
*Heidi*

flanthrower said...

WOW! What news! Congrats! I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you.

Beth said...

This is great news! I'm praying that the last investigation goes well and that you'll soon be on your way to pick up your sweet little one.

Genevieve said...

Oh That is great! I will say some prayers that all goes well with your bundle of joy!

Victoria said...

Yay!!!! Yay!!

ChicChick said...

Congratulations!!!! That is wonderfully exciting news. I'm so excited for you!