Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Homemade jam

"The Holy Spirit puts people in situations to become the people they need to be." (Marianne Williamson, at a talk a few years ago at Transitions Bookstore, Chicago)

Good news: the thing that had me down last week--as many of you may have assumed, another stumble on our adoption journey--is looking up as of today. Still no news as to when we might travel to Vietnam to get Sam, but I'm hopeful we might get travel approval soon.

So while I was depressed, I made some strawberry/blueberry jam. It's the freezer jam recipe, but I put it in jars, because it looks prettier, even though it has to be refrigerated. I gave one to my sister for her birthday and one to a secretary who retired at work and have one for our neighbors. Plus I saved a bunch for myself! I've been having toast mounded with chunky jam for breakfast each morning. Don't worry: I'm still swimming laps to work off all that sugar (even though I used the low-sugar recipe.)

I will be catching up with reports of knitting, crafting and some decorating around the house this week. Thanks again for all your thoughts and prayers last week.

3 comments:

Di said...

Smiles coming from across the pond - for all your endeavours from jam making to family making!

Anonymous said...

It would be nice to give your mother some jam.

Anonymous

Victoria said...

I love the strawberry jam photos - in the jar and in action, lovely.