Monday, July 07, 2008

Sunday by the lake

"We need the tonic of wildness. We can never have enough of nature." (Thoreau)

On Sunday after church Ed and I went to the lake. I love this city: In what other big city can you drive right up to the water, park easily even on a weekend, and walk a few yards to the beach or a nice shady spot under a tree?

I'm knitting another baby sweater, using this pattern from Simple Knits for Cherished Babies. I didn't love it the first time I knit it (the small size was so tiny I'm sure the baby never wore it), but I'm giving it another chance. This time in a larger size and with this pretty Cotton Ease in the "Maize" colorway.

I'm also reading Kathleen Norris' new book, called Acedia and Me and is about what used to be the "eighth deadly sin," acedia, which is like spiritual sloth, or not caring. The book is not out yet (those are bound galleys) but will be in September. I'm reviewing it for U.S. Catholic and really loving it. She is an amazing spiritual writer.

We had a little picnic by the lake, relaxed, read and I knit a bit. Here's my handsome husband by the water. What a lovely summer day.

2 comments:

Renee said...

I'm so excited to hear that Kathleen Norris's book is coming out! I'm envious that you get the galley copies. I heard her speak about acedia at the LA Congress this year and she mentioned that she was writing a book about it. I'll look forward to reading your review!

Patsy said...

I'm so glad I have such a good looking relative. Aunt Pat