Monday, July 14, 2008

This is what friendship looks like

"I always felt that the great high privilege, relief, and comfort of friendship was that one had to explain nothing." (Katherine Mansfield)

I've been having a rough week, with some problems that I don't want to get into here. I'm so lucky to have friends who really get how to help someone who's in pain. That's one of the "perks," I guess, of having suffered yourself. My friend Kristin, who knows all the gory details of this particular situation, called me on Saturday and said, "I'm treating you to a pedicure." It was just what I needed to relax, take my mind of it for awhile, and feel pampered. Don't you just love it when someone knows just what you need? (We went to Havana Nights, a nice little spa just a few blocks from my house. They even have a mojito pedicure. Sounds refreshing!)

After a six month hiatus from working out, I started swimming laps in our neighborhood Chicago Park District pool. It's great: only $20 for the whole summer, and they have at least 2 hours of adult lap swim a day. I love the meditative rhythm of swimming, plus it's great exercise for the whole body. I'm up to 12 laps a day.

Movies to knit by: I've been doing some knitting. Nothing to show yet, but I did knit through two very interesting movies. First, Ingmar Bergman's Fanny and Alexander, which was very slow at first, and strange, but excellent in the end. I watched the 3-hour version (not the uncut 5-hour one.) There's a great discussion about it on Internet Movie Database (IMDb). Even with subtitles, I was able to knit through most of it. Then, I watched a funny little Australian movie called Love Serenade. Made me laugh. I'm grateful for On Demand. It helps distract me from my problems. That and pedicures.

4 comments:

Di said...

Hey Heidi! I love the pink toes and I hope that every time you look down they'll make you smile a little!

Good luck at the pool! It's a good thing to be able to swim - helps clear away the cobwebs and gives you some quiet thinking time - or just time to listen to your heart beat!

Lucy said...

I'm sorry to hear things aren't going so well for one reason or another. You will get through it, one day at a time whatever it is. If I can help at all, let me know :)

Love your pink 'piggies'!! You deserve a treat!

Heidi (http://journals.aol.com/hwoodred/everyday-cookies/) said...

Hey Heidi...love your pedicure. PINK! So nice to have friends! I do hope things are working out. *Heidi*


{would you belive I've never had a pedicure? ...some day!}

roseylittlethings said...

I am in serious need of a pedi, however it is not it the cards right now:( Hope things get better!!!

I knit one of the flower dish cloths you posted a while back and it was a surprisingly quick item to knit. I am so bored with what I am knitting right now, I am dieing for a fun pattern. I have looked in all my books, and on some of the free sites online. Maybe I need to go to the knitting store. Take Care!