Monday, August 11, 2008

Cheeseheads

"The brick walls are not there to keep us out. The brick walls are there to give us a chance to show how badly we want something. Because the brick walls are there to stop the people who don’t want it badly enough." (Randy Pausch)

While in Wisconsin for my dad's birthday party, Ed and I and my parents went to State Fair in Milwaukee. We love seeing the animals (the cows are my favorite). After some nudging, Ed went last year and this year didn't even have to be coerced.

We saw lots of baby animals, including these piglets nursing from a sow, in the children's discovery barn. We kept saying, "We can't wait to bring Sam and Sophie to this." I am trying to be patient, but we keep having wrinkles with this last step in our approval process before we travel. It's rather frustrating, because it's our government, not Vietnam's, and quite honestly I'm not that impressed with how they keep misplacing our paperwork. (That quote about brick walls, which I found at The Knitting Curmudgeon, is speaking to me these days.)

The day was primarily about eating--and eating dairy at that. I had macaroni and cheese on a stick (deep fried, of course). It was fun to say I ate it, but quite honestly I wouldn't get it again. Too greasy! We also had some garlicky cheese curds from the Wisconsin Products pavilion.

And of course cream puffs (recipe here). On the way out we all got a 25-cent glass of flavored milk. I got coffee, but I have to admit my mom's root beer milk was the best. She and I looked at all the knitting and sewing. There were some amazing things, but not that many, in my opinion.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Boy, I could go for one of those cream puffs right now. They look so good.

Love, Mom

Di said...

I love that little row of piglets! And all that cheese.....

I was at the Royal Highland Show in Scotland at the end of June and agree - seeing all the animals was the best....