Wednesday, August 27, 2008

In Stitches

"And now here is my secret, a very simple secret: It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye." (French author Antoine De Saint Exupery)

As we continue to wait (and wait and wait) for final approval to travel to Vietnam to get our son, I got a nice distraction last weekend at the Stitches Midwest fiber arts convention. My mom and her friends Marge and Carrie came into Schaumburg (a suburb of Chicago) for it and invited me to come along. This is becoming an annual tradition (photo of us last year here).

We spent most of Friday shopping at the marketplace then went to the fashion show. There was lots of wonderful yarn, patterns and other knitting stuff there, but what caught my eye was this tote bag at one of the booths. I immediately noticed that it was Vietnamese writing and loved the funkiness of how it's made out of the heavy plastic from fish bags. It's made by Lantern Moon, an organization that sells handcrafted items (including knitting needles) produced by an education and income-generation project in Vietnam. I fell in love with the bag, so of course my generous mom bought it for me! Thanks, Mom!

She also bought me this sock yarn, called Sockina, which creates a cool Fair Isle pattern automatically when you knit socks. It's a nice thick cotton in a pretty blue/green/brown color. Here's what the socks look like:

After the fashion show, we had dinner at California Pizza Kitchen, then stayed at the Holiday Inn in Schaumburg. It had so many pools (two lap pools, two jacuzzis and one big pool) but I was too pooped to swim. But it was a fun day, plus my mom taught me how to do duplicate stitch, so I can finish the watermelon hat I knit a few weeks ago. Thanks again, Mom, for a fun day together.

1 comment:

jen said...

What a fun day, would love to go to something like that, have no idea if things like that come here? The bag is AB FAB, I see why you love it!! You have an award to pick up here http://roseylittlethings.com