Friday, August 15, 2008

White sox

"Let me light the lamp," says the star, "and never debate if it will help to remove the darkness." (Bengali poet Rabindranath Tagore)

Not THOSE White Sox--I'm a Cubs fan! Here is the completed camping knitting: two itsy-bitsy baby socks and a little hat in white (left) and a slightly larger pair of cotton off-white baby socks.

I got the white fingering yarn at the thrift store, and although it felt wooly, I wasn't sure if it was wool, a blend, or just acrylic. My mom reminded me of the burn test: If you burn wool yarn, you end up with ash; if you burn acrylic, it's kind of melts. This melted.

This cotton is also a blend (70% cotton, 30% acrylic). Not sure where I got this yarn; I think someone gave it to me. I'm trying to knit my stash into gifts to have on hand. I can decorate these basic white and off-white baby things with pink ribbon or little dinosaur buttons or something as appropriate. More stash-busting to be shared soon.

And, yes, these pictures are taken on my Notre Dame beach towel, which I've been using a lot. I swam 18 laps yesterday and 20 today. Michael Phelps I'm not; I'm slow and steady. And you know what they say about that. I keep thinking of it as a metaphor for our adoption.

1 comment:

jen said...

Brave girl taking white yarn camping:) Turned out cute!! You have been a busy girl, looks like a fun trip to visit the fam:)