Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Wilderness knitting

"You can't be brave if you've only had wonderful things happen to you." (Actress Mary Tyler Moore)

How's that for chutzpah--I brought white knitting on our camping trip to Door County! I just grabbed the most portable project already on my needles and it was a baby hat in white fingering yarn from my stash. Believe it or not, I kept it clean!


Ed and I have made a tradition of going camping at Newport State Park in Door County, Wisconsin every summer or early fall since the year before we got married (previous years here and here). So this was Camping Trip #4--and (as we've been saying almost every year) our last one without kids. It will be car camping after that. We hike in about two miles with our packs, although this year we weren't able to get our beloved Site #8 and instead had to settle for #9. (There were wild raspberries everywhere!) This was the first year that we arrived in time to set up our tent before dark. We even had time to spare!



Site #9 had better water access and we actually went swimming off our site (after walking down a fairly long path). We also swam at the public park swimming hole, where it was pretty mucky. But it was HOT this trip, and Site #9 is not as shady, so we had to move our chairs to the shady spot near the water (where I knit).

For a Schlumpf-Butler camping trip, this one was pretty uneventful: no rain, no visits from critters. Thunderstorms were forecast for all three days but we only saw rain on the drive up. I've learned that tissues stuck in my ears as earplugs help me sleep without imagining every very little twig snap to be a bear visiting our site. Attractive look, huh? (The headlamp is to read my book before bed. I finished River, Cross My Heart.) I know I've written this before, but I really hope this is our last camping trip without kids.

4 comments:

Di said...

It looks like a good time was had! Swimming outdoors is a love of mine which doesn't happen often in the UK!

I too hope it is the last trip for you without kids!!

catieann said...

oh what a pretty area to camp in!!
Just think of all the camping trips you will have ahead of you to show sam and sophie all the beautiful things there....fresh picked raspberries, twigs, trees, water to swim in, little critters to watch.
We used to tent camp with the kids when they were little and for a while had access to a small trailer parked at a mountain lake!! We had such fun doing all sorts of outdoorsy things.

To this day our adult children love backpacking/hiking/camping and are sharing those adventures with their children.
catie

Anonymous said...

Wow, you are brave to post that picture of you with the headlamp on! I read River, Cross My Heart a few years ago. I read Girl with a Pearl Earring last week on vacation. Love, Amy

Vintage Hunter said...
This comment has been removed by the author.