Thursday, September 04, 2008

It's curtains for you!

"Tell the timid to take heart; the Lord our God will come." (From the monastic liturgy)

So, if you had only six days to get ready for a 2-week international trip that also happened to include "childbirth," what would you do? Make curtains, right? That's what I did last week: painted our bedroom, made drapes for that room, and made curtains for the baby's room. Of course, these are things that have been on my to-do list all summer, but I just couldn't get myself to do them. I think there was a part of me that never really believed this would finally happen. Well, now it is!

We wanted some drapes to darken our bedroom (Samuel will probably sleep in there initially since he's not used to sleeping alone), but I didn't want to spend a bundle. I found this Pottery Barn duvet cover at a thrift and decided to cut it up and make curtains. We had a lot of windows to cover so I needed lots of fabric. It took more seams than I would have liked because I had to cut around a hole, but they turned out pretty nice and match the wall paint perfectly. That pretty much took me all day Saturday.


I also made these cute curtains from an Ikea shower curtain for the baby's room. They also match perfectly, and the shower curtain was only $20. They need to be lined so they'll be darker but I found some room-darkening curtains at Target on clearance for $6 that should work for lining. Because I'll have so much time to sew once Sam's home!

There were so many details to finish up this week, but we're coming down the home stretch now. I taught my last class last night and today we're packing everything up. Tomorrow by this time we'll be in the air on the way to Ho Chi Minh City! If you want to follow our adoption journey, we hope to post to our adoption blog if we can get past the firewall.

5 comments:

flanthrower said...

Congrats again on all the adoption stuff coming together and kudos to you for finding time in all that to make curtains!

There will be a bit of curtain making in the near future for me too. I'll be in your neck of the woods in just a few weeks. (I recently accepted a job in Chicago.)

Anonymous said...

Heidi, I am so excited for you. The curtains look great. I can't believe that in less than a week you will have Sam in your arms. I am so anxious to see the video. Ed and I got it down last night. Have a good trip.

Love, Mom

Brian (bk) said...

Every time I've thought of you this week I've had such a smile on my face. I'm so excited for you and Ed and Sam! What a wonderful family you will be. :)

Much love,
Kristi

Di said...

I really hope that you have the most fantastic trip!! I will be on holiday myself so will miss all the excitement but I will definitely be checking out your blog on my return!!

I am so excited for you! I have been trying to think of a theme for my baby blankie and I think I have an idea which I will work on whilst I am away!!

Rebecca said...

Yeah! I am so excited for you! Can't wait to "meet" Sam. :) And the curtains look great! I love making something into something else. :)

hugs and have a safe trip!