Monday, October 13, 2008

Picnic in the park

"And now here is my secret, a very simple secret: It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye." (Antoine De Saint-Exupery)

Look at that sweet boy! I'm making kissing noises at him. We had a nice picnic in the park with our friends Jon and Kristin and their son Lincoln on Saturday. We ate sandwiches from our favorite Vietnamese sandwich shop under a nice shady tree in the park next to our house. Kristin took a bunch of photos of Sam and me. Our camera is a little heavy with photos of Sam and his Daddy.

Actual knitting content! I started this sweater for little Lincoln earlier this summer and got about 2/3 through the back before we left for Vietnam. On the flight over, I almost finished the back. And since we've gotten Sam, I've done maybe 10 rows.

I love this pattern (Dougie Dog Sweater from Lucinda Guy) but those cables are a bitch! Just for the record, there are 37 of them (yes, THIRTY-SEVEN) on each row. And the whole front and sleeves are in this pattern too. (Also, I have to learn intarsia to do the pocket.) What was I thinking? I know what I was thinking: I don't have a child; let's do this really complicated sweater for my good friend's son. Now I worry I'll never finish it. And I won't let myself start anything new till I do. Wish me luck...

4 comments:

Di said...

I think the sweater will be great! I don't have a baby and I still manage to never finish things - I think I suffer from knitting attention defecit disorder....

Sam looks so cute!

Anonymous said...

Say, that sounds like a new disorder--KADD! The sweater looks great. I don't think I did much knitting when I had two little girls 13 months apart!

Love, Mom

catieann said...

hi heidi
what a beautiful picture of the two of u~~ he is sooo beautiful.
the sweater is gorgeous. Don't be hard on yourself....it will get done when it is done.
catie

Rebecca said...

Look at him looking at you! He is too cute. :)

The sweater pattern is gorgeous but you are braver than I to attempt all those cables LOL. You'll do fine with the intarsia, it's pretty easy once you give it a try. Much easier than 37 cables per row!