Wednesday, November 05, 2008

I was there!

"This victory alone is not the change we seek – it is only the chance for us to make that change." (President-elect Barack Obama, Nov. 4, 2008, Grant Park acceptance speech)

Just me and a quarter of a million other ecstatic Americans celebrating the election of the first non-white president in our country's history. What a party! I got there late (waited until I put Sam to sleep at my friend Kristin's, so didn't get there until 9:30ish. Ed was working the election returns.) The line for ticket-holders was about a mile long, but after it was announced that he won, they just moved all of us into the non-ticket area. So I wasn't able to see him (or meet up with my sister and her family), but I had a great view of the Jumbo-tron. And it was energizing just to be around so many happy people! Even the CTA was organized. I was really proud of my city.

And proud to have been part of making this happen. On Election Day, my sister and I made our third trip to Indiana during this campaign , knocking on 82 doors in a final GOTV attempt. (Some say Indiana is still too close to call, but others are saying it went for Obama, the first time Indiana went for a Democratic president since the 60s.) This is the first time I've gotten this involved in a campaign (donating and volunteering, although I also volunteered once on Obama's Senate campaign). I really am inspired by his integrity, his own personal story, and his concern for the least among us. In fact, it is my Catholic/Christian faith that led me to become a Democrat and to be so excited about Obama.

I was touched by McCain's speech (wish we'd seen more of that side of him during the campaign), though I can't think of anything nice to say about Palin, so I'll just keep my mouth shut. I hope that those who didn't support Obama will give him a chance. I think they will be pleasantly surprised by the job he will do as leader of this country. Lord knows we need a good one now.

Enough politics for now. Back to knitting and crafting soon.

5 comments:

Sarah and Jack said...

Heidi!!!!!!!!! You were there! How totally freaking cool. I wish I had the foresight to drive us to Chicago to be there too, lol.

Di said...

How exciting to have actually been there!! From over here in Scotland it seems like a good thing just happened! I woke up nervous this morning with anticipation of what the news would be when I switched on the TV! A sea change over night......

Anonymous said...

All I can say is that I'm proud to say that I live in Indiana! What a great opportunity and what an amazing slice of history to be a part of. We woke up the kids to tell them the news of Obama winning (didn't know about IN until the next morning.) They didn't remember, but we're still excited anyway. It's a new day. :)
xo Kristi

Anonymous said...

Yes, it was such a great night. I was so proud of Chicago for such a well-run event. And I'm so thrilled for our country that we've elected a true leader. Way to go Indiana! I always knew you could do it!! Love, Amy

Sarah and Jack said...

Hey Heidi, I know things are busy with Sam, but any chance you have a red felted sweater kicking around I can buy from you? (I need a whole sweater to make a wreath.)