Sunday, November 16, 2008

Look, Ma, no cable needle!

"What do we live for, if it is not to make life less difficult for each other?" (George Eliot)

Remember this sweater that I started B.S. (before Sam)? It's the Dougie Dog Sweater from Lucinda Guy and has 37 cables across each row. I was seriously doubting my ability to ever finish it, not to mention finish it in time for its intended recipient (my godson Lincoln) to wear before he's too big for it.

Well, now there's at least a chance. I learned the nifty "cabling without a cable needle" technique from Grumperina, which I'm using on the front (I had already finished the back). It involves letting a stitch hang in midair (which would be more stitches with a larger cable), so I'm not sure I would use it for all cabling. But it works great for this pattern and really makes the cable row go much more quickly. Still, I've got quite a bit of the front to go, plus the two sleeves. And not a lot of time to knit.

Speaking of cables, I made this nice cabled baby hat, thinking it might fit Sam, but it is too small. I really like the pattern though. Maybe if I just rewrote it to have another repeat. Yea, in my spare time!Look at that drool. He's getting two more teeth. He's also going through a "must be held by Mama at all times" stage. We're happy that he's attaching, but it drives me a little nuts. That, combined with his sleep issues (very short naps and still not sleeping through the night) makes it pretty impossible for me to get anything done, never mind a sweater with 37 cables across each row!

4 comments:

Di said...

Hmm, I love the colour of that sweater and the cute little hat. I am sure that Sam will start sleeping at some point soon! He's going to be exhausted :o)

Anonymous said...

The cable stitch on the hat reminds me of the cable stitch afghans my mom use to make. She'd be proud of your knitting (: Sam is still adjusting & so are you & Ed. We can't wait to see him with you & Ed when we get back! K&K

jungle dream pagoda said...

What a pretty baby!!!! Goodness have I been out of the bloggy loop! Congrats on that sweet child!

Sue said...

He is a beautiful boy, Heidi. I am so happy for you and your husband and your family. Deo gratias.

Oh ... and the knitting is great, too! ;-)