Friday, January 23, 2009

Handmade Christmas 2008

"It is expressly at those times when we feel needy that we will benefit the most from giving." (Ruth Ross)

I'm playing a little catch-up here, with some photos of some crafty Christmas gifts from 2008. I'll go into a little more detail later, but I did some handpainting on glass (a new thing for me, as you can tell by the very homemade look to these cordial glasses). This was part of a cherry-themed gift for my parents and my sister and brother-in-law.

Another first: I designed my own dishcloth pattern. I searched everywhere for one with the Notre Dame logo and tried to use this one from a scarf pattern (Ravelry link) but it was a little wonky, so I finally just charted it and created my own pattern. I will be offering it free here on Spiritual Knitter soon. (Ignore that this photo is upside down so the D looks backward. I'm having a hard time rotating my photos.) I knit two sets of these for some of my friends in South Bend. I also knit an angel dishcloth, using this free Angel of Welcome pattern, for my aunt but forgot to take a picture of it.

I also knit this cute bobbly bath mitt and paired it with handmade soap I bought from Enterprising Kitchen, an organization that helps women work toward economic independence. (They're here in Chicago but you can buy their stuff online.) The free knitting pattern is Mira's Bath Mitt from a blog called Give it a Purl. The bobbles give it a texture for scrubbing, but boy were they a lot of work--and hard on my hands since I was knitting with cotton (the pattern calls for chenille). This one was for my friend Karen, whose birthday is after Christmas.

I also made one for my godparents. I had plans to make a bunch of these, but they took longer than I thought (those darn bobbles!). This will be a nice gift for future Christmases or birthdays, though.

Finally, I made a knitter's wreath for my Aunt Pat. Sorry for the bad photo. I'll have more details about the cherries and the ND washcloth pattern soon. I also have one still-unfinished present that I hope to have done in the next week. After all that cotton knitting, I can't wait to get back to wool.

3 comments:

Di said...

Great looking gifts! I think the glasses look great - I can't imagine painting on glass is easy. I am sure all the gifts were loved.

Anonymous said...

Good to see your blog again. I didn't think the painting looked at all like a first. I thought they were beautiful, but of course, I am your mother.

Love, Mom

roseylittlethings said...

Wow, you made some really great stuff! Love the bobble bath mit, too fun! Your cherry glasses came out super cute!