Wednesday, April 08, 2009

In real life


In my last post, I mentioned that I had writing to do. Now that I've left publishing for academia, I actually have (relatively) more time to write. Although I already have too much on my plate (full-time job, book project, baby), I got an offer a few months ago that I just couldn't pass up. The National Catholic Reporter, the venerable national progressive Catholic newspaper, asked me to write a column on popular culture, media, etc. My first column, last month, was on the topic of online friendships. I thought I'd share the first part, since it mentions a fellow craft blogger.

After my husband and I adopted our son, FedEx and UPS visited regularly with gifts from friends and family. One day a package arrived all the way from Australia. Inside was a personalized original piece of artwork by my artist friend Marianne. I would have loved to drop by or give her a call to thank her for it.

Except that I have never met Marianne IRL (in real life).

Marianne and I met through our blogs. Hers about her artwork, mine about knitting. The craft blogosphere is huge. Thousands -- maybe even tens or hundreds of thousands -- of women share their creative endeavors with like-minded crafters around the country and the world.

In the two years I have been blogging, I have "met" dozens of women I now consider friends. We share not only knitting patterns but also parenting advice and prayers for myriad intentions. The only thing we don't share is the same physical space.


Read the rest of the column here.

This month, I wrote about Stephen Colbert.

And next month I'm talking about marketing aimed at kids.

I'm also going to be blogging for them soon.

I started this blog as a place to record all my creative endeavors--sort of a personal scrapbook on the internet. I never imagined it would come with the fringe benefit of friendships with so many diverse people. I'm horrible at responding to comments (Blogger doesn't give me your email even if I had time to) but I do read as many of your blogs as possible, even if I don't always have time to comment on them. I love hearing about your lives and oohing and ahhing over your creative ideas.

I'm grateful for the support and inspiration I've found online. And I'm going to have a gratitude give-away right after Easter--a little belated blog-versary and 400+ post celebration. Details to come...

2 comments:

roseylittlethings said...

Congrats, I see why you couldn't turn it down!

Heidi said...

How cool! :) I've always thought that if I went back to school I'd try to do a thesis on online relationships for women. The sociology nerd in me thinks it's fascinating. :)

Congratulations!