Saturday, April 25, 2009

It's easy being green

"I conceive that the land belongs to a vast family of which many are dead, few are living, and countless numbers are still unborn." (A Nigerian chieftan)

"We do not inherit the earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children." (Native American Proverb
)

Sorry I've been silent so long. As the end of the semester and academic year approaches, I get busier--and more tempted to play outside. We've had some beautiful days, and some rainy, haily, almost snowy days, too. But spring is clearly here!

Happy belated Earth Day. I've been working on a lecture on the environment for the "Understanding Wellness" class I'm teaching, but I also have had another kind of "green" on my mind lately. Although I haven't been motivated to start or finish anything complicated, I did decide to knit up a bagful of stray balls of green wool into a a basic garter stitch man's scarf--probably for charity next Christmas. I kind of like the colorblock look. I'll do fringe with all of the colors, I think. Last night I sewed in all the ends so far, so I won't have so many at the end.

We had our friend Christian over for dinner on Thursday night (big, juicy steaks on the grill). His girlfriend Adrienne wasn't able to make it, but she happens to be a knitter and a blogger at Yarn for Brains. Christian, who basically gambles for a living but is also a lawyer, is helping us with our readoption. Kids love him, in part because he's a kid at heart.

It was such a nice night that we sat outside for wine and cheese. It was so funny because one of Sam's made-up words is "Goo-da." He says it all the time and was saying while we happened to be serving Gouda cheese. Christian was very impressed with his vocabulary! I call this picture "still life with sippy cup."




Movies to knit by:
I watched a very sad but good Chinese film, which we've had from Netflix for approximately 3 months. It's called "To Live." Warning: I mean really sad. But good.

Update: here's the link for the tutorial on weaving ends in while knitting that Adrienne suggested in the comments.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

He's so cute! I am anxious to see him. Check my blog.

Love, Mom

Adrienne said...

Thanks for the linky love! =) I know I haven't posted to the blog in ages, I've been having computer issues and also haven't been knitting that much lately. I've got a new machine now and a bit of reinvigorated knitting mojo, so I hope to remedy that soon!

I'm really sorry I wasn't able to make it last week, it would have been nice to see you all.

I think garter stitch is perfect for mindless knitting, and your scarf looks great so far! There is a technique for weaving in ends as you knit that I often use for projects involving a lot of colour changes, if you Google "weaving in ends as you knit" it should be the first link, it's a post at the "sock pr0n" blog. =)

Anonymous said...

Hey Heidi: Yes, we heard a lot of Goo-da the last time he was at our house. Clare's made up word was "Go-ma." Eventually it came to mean just water. We always wondered where it came from. Can't wait till he visits on Friday/Saturday! Love, Amy

LaLa said...

OK..when I saw you post on my blog I just knew there would be an update on Sam's blog...sadly there wasn't..but at least I got a photo fix here!!

victoria said...

Sam is so cute! I'm sure you hear it all the time but I just had to say it.