Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Great thrifting minds...

"If the rain spoils our picnic, but saves a farmer's crop, who are we to say it shouldn't rain?" (Tom Barrett)

...think alike! A few months ago I found this green vintage picnic basket at the thrift store for $2. I brought it home and promptly filled it with--what else?--yarn. While visiting my in-laws over Memorial Day weekend in Philadelphia, I saw the brown vintage picnic basket in the bedroom. I thought they were exactly alike except for color, though now that I see the pictures together, I can tell the textures are different.


My mother-in-law Marge (above with husband Ed Sr.) and I like to hit rummage sales when I visit, though I can't buy too much since I have to fly it all home. This time we went to a few in one neighborhood, then one at a church with about 50 different stands. Lots of kids' stuff--I found two nice Melissa and Doug wooden toys (including sewing cards) and a few books for Sam. I fell in love with these cherry Wellie-type boots for a little girl, but I am committed to not buying girl things until we know for sure that Sophie will be a girl. So Marge bought them for me ($1) and even offered to store them until Sophie comes home!

We had a great visit, and Sam loved getting to know his "Mimi" and "Pop Pop" better. On Memorial Day we went to a local parade that was totally small-town America. They even had free hot dogs and beer in "Veteran's Park" afterward. It was Sam's first parade and he loved it, especially the bands. He would run in the street and dance! So cute.

I'm going to post some more pictures from our trip at Dear Sam and Sophie soon. And will be sharing more thrifted treasures, too. Even though I've been lax in posting pictures, I have been getting a few things at estate sales and the thrift lately. I'll try to catch up with some random pictures soon.

4 comments:

Di said...

The picnic basket is great! I think you can never have enough great places to store yarn!

roseylittlethings said...

Great finds, I have about 4 vintage picnic baskets now, they are great for storage.

Heidi said...

I have 2 of those Redmon baskets myself! I will warn you--somehow, they multiply when you aren't looking! LOL No really, ask Shara. :) Once I found mine, suddenly it was like I was seeing them everywhere.

Cute wellies! I want a pair in my size!

Rebecca said...

Love the baskets! My Mom brought me an old tin one and i used it for a planter. Sadly, the plants died. I think I'll try again LOL

(love the tiny boots!!_