Sunday, June 21, 2009

Thrifty Daddy

"He didn't tell me how to live; he lived, and let me watch him do it." (Clarence Budington Kelland)

So last weekend Ed tells me he's going to hit a few yard sales to find a bike seat for Sam. I tell him, in my most know-it-all voice, "Honey, you can't just expect to find a specific thing like a bike seat. In fact, I've been going to garage sales for years, and I'm not sure I've ever seen one."

You guessed it: He found one. $20. So today, for Father's Day, Sam went on his first bike ride. As you can see, at first he didn't really like it. Mostly it was the helmet around his chin.

But once we got going, he had a great time. We rode for about an hour, then stopped at the new Middle Eastern place near our house for some schawarma. Yum! Sam learned a new word: cucumber. He's talking up a storm these days.

Another "thrift Daddy" story: Ed always carried Sam in the Baby Bjorn and later in a hand-me-down backpack that was too small for Sam and way too small for Ed. We started pricing baby backpack carriers and discovered they're over $100. One day Ed is at the Vietnamese sandwich shop with Sam, and a customer says, "That backpack is too small for you. I have one I'll sell you for $20." So Ed gets this practically brand new super nice backpack for $20!

Other Daddy's Day news: Ed was on the cover of our parish bulletin today (actually with that old backpack!) Before dinner we went to Foster Beach (more pix on Dear Sam and Sophie). I made homemade blueberry muffins for breakfast, and ribs, corn, green beans and watermelon for dinner. Plus I let Ed sleep in two days in a row. Happy Father's Day to the best "Dada" in the world! I'm so lucky to have these two amazing boys in my life--not to mention my own wonderful Dad!

3 comments:

Di said...

It sounds like Ed has a little luck on his side with this thrifting business!! I love the shot in the bike seat - poor wee Sam! I am glad that he enjoyed it in the end.

baby carriers backpacks said...

Sounds like Ed knows how to bargain hunt! Unlike me, who will buy the first thing I see, if I like it.

Rebecca said...

Happy Father's Day, Ed!

Why is it that men can do that? I took my husband to the thrift store ONCE and he found a brand new with tags Ralph Lauren sweater. He already had that sweater and it was his favorite and now he has a back up! Yeesh.

Love your little owls!