Thursday, October 29, 2009

Felt birthday garland

"Begin to weave, and God will give you the thread." (German proverb)

As you can see, it was a very felty birthday celebration for Sam. My final handmade touch to the birthday celebration is this felt garland or banner--again, another idea I've seen all over craft blogs for years. This was a quick and easy project anyone could do (even you, Amy!) Even better--like the crown--it was made completely from stash materials.

I cut the triangles out of brightly colored felt (from recycled sweaters, but you could use regular craft felt). I made them 5 inches across and 7 inches deep. Then I used stick-on felt letters leftover from this project. Then I sewed them together with jumbo-sized red rick rack, reinforcing back and forth in between each flag. You could glue the rick rack if you don't have a sewing machine (or I could do it for you, Amy). It used less than one package of jumbo rick rack.

Add a few helium balloons and the Moon Festival lantern still hanging from last month and you've got instant party atmosphere. The new red chairs add to the bright decorations. (Yes, those funky wood squares are topped by an incredibly ugly 80s floral wallpaper, but it will be awhile before we redo the walls in the dining room.)

1 comment:

victoria said...

Sigh. I WANT that wallpaper!! Congrats on Sam's 2nd Birthday.