Monday, November 02, 2009

Halloween Post-Mortum

"From earth's wide bounds, from ocean's farthest coast,
Though gates of pearl stream in the countless host,
And singing to Father, Son and Holy Ghost:
Alleluia, Alleluia!" ("For All the Saints," by Anglican Bishop William Walsham How)

With Sam's birthday the week before Halloween, I can see that the end of October is going to be a busy time for our family. Luckily, I already had a costume for Sam--a cute dragon that my sister had bought him last year but we had not used and still fit. Is he cute or what?

I tried to make him a little pumpkin bag out of orange felt, but I ran out of time and I didn't make it deep enough. Luckily, he only went to three or four houses so it sufficed. Our new neighborhood is so, well, neighborly. Everyone gathers in costume at the park and parades through the neighborhood before trick or treating.

I'm using this yet-unpainted and unstained tall shelf that used to be in our condo entryway (now in our dining room) for holiday themed decorations. It helps that Sam can't reach the high shelves. Here are our simple Halloween items.

I found these two little copper molds with acorns at a thrift store in Aurora last week. Aren't they so cute? I don't know why I love acorns so much. I guess I'm a sucker for anything fall-related. They're about two inches across. Not sure what they're for, but I think they fit with the orange metal wine pitcher from Greece.

It's not going to get any less busy, as I just started teaching two new classes--both of which I have never taught before, so lots of prep. In addition, I have tons of freelance writing projects, including an interview with Mary Gordon tomorrow night. Looking forward to that.

Now, on to Thanksgiving and (yikes!) Christmas.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

No mention of the Packer game. How was it?

Love, Mom

Carolina said...

Ahh he looks very cute as a dragon!

Rebecca said...

I haven't visited in so long! Congrats on your new house and your new daughter! And I LOVE Sam's costume!