Saturday, December 26, 2009

Blankie

"It's not so much that we're afraid of change or so in love with the old ways, but it's that place in between that we fear... It's like being between trapezes. It's Linus when his blanket is in the dryer. There's nothing to hold onto." (Marilyn Ferguson)

I only made one gift this year--probably a record for me. Of course, I still made several batches of toffee to give away, but only one crafted gift. It was this cashmere blankie for my new nephew with the Christmasy name of Nicholas.


I made it out of felt from recycled sweaters--but all cashmere, so it's super soft. I've only made one of these before (one I donated to a Chinese orphanage), and that time I zigzagged the squares together, but this time the cashmere was too slippery for that. So I had to do two lines of straight stitch instead. It's a little messy, but I guess that's just the "handmade" look.

I used an interesting combo of bright colors, since Nicholas' mother is not into traditional boy baby blues. I did some red highlights, with large rick rack and polka dotted ribbon with a few loops for sucking on. And I hand stitched his name on it.

There was a little boy here who wanted it for himself. I really should make some of this stuff for my own kids!

P.S. We made it home safely from a lovely Christmas in Wisconsin, despite lots of snow here, there and in between. I know most people take a blogging break during the holidays, but this is when I finally have some time to read and write blogs posts. So hopefully I'll do a little catching up on the (few) creative projects in my life lately.

1 comment:

Blogless me said...

Love the blanket and the kitchen!
Is your SIL Bulgarian by any chance?