Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Cookie Baking Weekend 2009

"Many hands make light work." (John Heywood)

The annual Schlumpf Women Cookie Baking Weekend was held a week later this year (it's usually the first weekend of December) because I had a work party and a baby shower. Plus, I had to miss half the say Saturday because I was teaching. For that reason, it was also moved to my sister's in Aurora--though with some finger-crossing, because the last time we had it there, my sister's dog died. Buddy, their current pooch, survived this year.

According to the official counter (my mom), we baked 2, 225 cookies this year--our second highest number in history. However, my mom arrived with some three kinds already baked for us, so it's kind of cheating.

We had an extra pair of hands this year. He rolled, cut out and sampled a few. He also played with Grandpa, Uncle Andy and his cousins.

Once home, he chose a sugar cutout snowman that had black frosting on it and made a bit of a mess. But he loves the cookies. His favorites are the cutouts (especially the candy canes) and the creme de menthe balls, which he calls "Christmas balls." It's a simple, unbaked cookie that we've made since I was a little girl. The recipe is from "The Electirc Company Christmas Cooky Book," from 1964 put out by Wisconsin Electric Power Company (here's one for sale on ebay).

Creme de Menthe BonBons
1 c. vanilla wafer crumbs (Nilla Wafers--we grind in a meat grinder, but you can use food processor or even buy as crumbs)
3/4 finely chopped pecans
1 c. powdered sugar
2 Tbsp. light corn syrup
1/2 c. green creme de menthe
Green food coloring
Powdered sugar for rolling

Mix crumbs, pecans, sugar, syrup and creme de menthe. Add a few drops of food coloring. Chill dough. Shape into 1-inch balls; roll in powdered sugar. Refrigerate. Makes about 5 dozen.

This is a great cookie for little hands to help with the rolling in powdered sugar.

**Our family loves creme de menthe. I remember us pouring a bit on vanilla ice cream for dessert, or having (weak) grasshoppers. My mom also makes a yummy creme de menthe cake topped with fudge topping and cool whip that is a favorite at family birthdays.

2 comments:

Di said...

That is an amazing number of cookies! How many times did you have to put cookies in the oven??? I am making mine today - but only 12 to make a stacking Christmas tree!

Anonymous said...

One more thing to add: When Andy and I got engaged, he and and Dad celebrated with Stingers, a cocktail of brandy and creme de menthe, which sounds a little gross to me.--Amy