Tuesday, December 08, 2009

Thanksgiving

"Don't pray when it rains, if you don't pray when the sun shines." (Satchel Paige)

I didn't mean to disappear for a whole month. This semester has been crazier than ever: I'm teaching two classes, plus Ed is teaching one and taking one. So we have a lot of papers to write and grade these last weeks.

Thanksgiving was also an adventure. We went to Kentucky to meet our new nephew Nicholas (snuggling with me in the above photo). On the way home, we had car trouble (on Saturday afternoon) and ended up stranded in Indiana until a mechanic could look at it on Monday. We've had about $1,500 in car repairs in the past four weeks. I hope we're done for awhile. Still, it could have been a lot worse, and at least we broke down near Lafayette, so we were near a hotel and many fast-food joints!

There has been very little Christmas readying around here. No tree yet, no cards, just some thinking about presents, and a few batches of homemade toffee. Some friends are coming over tonight, so I'm going to try to make a batch of Tom and Jerrys. And this weekend is the annual Schlumpf Women Cookie Baking event. I'll have more to report after that, and more Christmas fun after my last class (Dec. 19, grades due Dec. 22). No homemade gifts this year, though.

I hope life settles down soon. It's just too crazy. All the more reason I enjoyed just snuggling with a month-old baby on Thanksgiving! Isn't he so cute?

1 comment:

Di said...

He is very cute! I am glad you had a good thanksgiving but sorry about the car - I can relate to that - I took mine to the garage on Tuesday to be told the part needed was £680 plus tax before fitting - hopefully I have managed to find one from a scrap yard for £60! Hopefully that'll get the car fixed for a while anyway.

Semester will be over soon!