Monday, January 25, 2010

Craft Hope for Haiti

"People [are] stepping up — the world is compassionate. Despite what many may think, the hearts of men and women are warm. Sometimes I think that we are distracted by so much war that we forget that we are loving people..." (Haitian musician and activist Wyclef Jean)

It's heartwarming to see how the craft community is rallying around fundraising for Haiti. These two bloggers I follow are auctioning off items as fundraisers. Craft Hope for Haiti has raised more than $10,000 in one week by asking crafters for donations to an etsy shop, where 100% of money raised will to to Doctors Without Borders. I didn't donate anything yet, but I did buy something.


When I saw these tiger jammies in a 12-month size, I knew they were meant for Sophie, who we hope to bring home right after celebrating the Chinese New Year of the Tiger.

They have sold 1,477 items already and only have 173 items left right now, but will be adding more soon. There are some nice downloadable patterns, including this cute Haitian girl for embroidery. I think I might get that.

Craft Hope organizes lots of other projects in which crafters make and donate items to charities that need things. So does this Mama to Mama site. I'll be watching both of them.

No comments: