Friday, January 01, 2010

One down, one to go

"Have patience with all things, but chiefly have patience with yourself. Do not lose courage in considering your own imperfections but set about remdying them--every day begin the task anew." (St. Francis de Sales)


Hat #1 for our friends who had twin boys on Dec. 26 is done. I used the Huck's Baby Hat (free) pattern from Jimmy Bean's Wool, casting 55 stitches on size 5 doublepointed needles with some Lion Brand cashmere I got on clearance for $4 a skein last Thanksgiving in Lexington, Kentucky. I made it 6 inches, as the pattern called for, but it seems a bit long on this model (a doll given to Sam last night from his friend Mari.) I assume the twins will be a bit bigger, and it will stretch wider and not have so much extra at the top.

The next one is going to be red with a white stripe. Does anyone know how to make it so I don't have those little white "dashes" in the purl part of the rib where I start the white stripe? Mom?

I'm only making three resolutions this year: to start working out again, to go to church more regularly and to blog more regularly at the National Catholic Reporter blog. Oh, and to be a more patient wife and mother. I always do that one.

1 comment:

katie said...

Just work the first round after each color change in plain knitting, no ribbing. Start your ribbing again on row 2. The break in the rib won't show, and you won't get the little "design elements" peeking through on the purls.

Good luck with the resolutions!