Sunday, February 07, 2010

Nesting

"Measure success by the obstacles overcome." (Booker T. Washington)

We leave for China in 10 days to get our daughter Sophie Yue. I'm just sick about leaving Sam (and it's turning out to be longer than I had thought--almost three weeks!). I'm also having "Second Baby Blues" that our little family of three is changing, even though I know it's for the better.

There is so much to do to get ready. Today I made two loaves of banana bread (with my little helper in his 40-cent thrift store apron!) and a quadruple batch of White Bean Chicken Chili. All of it but one batch of chili went in the freezer. I remember how hard it was to shop or cook when we got home from Vietnam, and this time we'll have a baby and a toddler! I'm hoping to get a few more meals in the freezer this week. Maybe a lasagna.

I promised pictures of the new toilet, but it turns out I only took a "before" photo. This project turned out to be very complicated. Apparently this toilet was installed when the house first got indoor plumbing and the ring on the floor is soldered to the pipe! Needless to say, this required about a dozen trips to Home Depot and Lowes.


I was all excited to get this mod toilet (Jacuzzi Espree) that had no ridges on the side to clean, but it wouldn't fit against the wall where the pipe sticks out. So we had to rebox and return that one and go with a more basic model, but still very environmental--ony 1.6 gallons per flush! (I also wanted one of those "two button" models, but Ed nixed that. Thought the kids wouldn't get it.) The tank is about half the size of the old one.

Sam was so excited: "New potty!" But that doesn't mean he's going in it yet.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sam got a haircut!

Love, Gram

Di said...

I can't believe you are going so soon! I can imagine that it is hard to leave Sam for so long. I hope for a smooth transition for you all!

kevin said...

God bless your journey! Hope neither you nor Sam break any china!