Wednesday, March 24, 2010

The purple sweater

"Even when they call us mad, when they call us subversives and communists and all the epithets they put on us, we know we only preach the subversive witness of the Beatitudes, which have turned everything upside down." (Archbishop Oscar Romero, assassinated 30 years ago today)


This is what I was doing just minutes before we got the knock on our hotel room door to meet our daughter for the first time. Yes, I was knitting. I had just started the Daisy sweater for Sophie in some nice lavender wool.

A few moments later I was snuggling with the sweetest little thing, who had arrived wearing (among many other layers) a hand-knit purple wool cardigan sweater.

Most likely her foster mother knit it for her, and given how many women I saw knitting in China, that's entirely possible.

Not only is this something that will go into her "China treasures" box, but it's a lovely coincidence that I was knitting her a very similar sweater, don't you think?

3 comments:

Kristi said...

Just meant to be. :)

heidi said...

goose bumps...

Rebecca said...

I love it! Perhaps lavender will be "her color?" I have always loved it myself so you know that means she has excellent taste!


I love your family. So cute!