Friday, May 07, 2010

Under the sea

"I am you; you are me. You are the waves; I am the ocean. Know this and be free, be divine." (Sri Sathya Sai Baba)

So these are the other sea creatures that were part of the trio I knit for our friends Jerry and Stephanie, who are having their first baby in June. Jerry had told me she was having a "sea" theme for the room and really wanted knitted and crocheted toys.

 
This lobster is so freaking adorable. I found the free pattern here, though I found another one here. The pattern is putsy (as so many toy patterns are) but if you stick with it, it turns out. The only thing is that I used some Sugar & Cream cotton from my stash, which is really a pain to work with with all those "M1"s.


This fish, like Ollie the Octopus, is from a free Lion Brand pattern. Let me just say that this was my first experience with lots of stripes and boy what a pain in the ass it was! All those ends to weave in! I kept thinking it would have taken me about 1/10th the time to knit this as a solid. But then in the end, it looked so cute with the stripes. Again, Sugar & Cream cotton from my stash.

So these, together with the pink octopus, are my gifts to our friends. A little someone kept interrupting my photo shoot to play with them. I really should make some of this stuff for my own kids. (I know I keep saying that.)

Here are some other patterns I considered but didn't get to make:


4 comments:

Di said...

These are adorable! I love the lobster. He's a perfect colour too! Have you seen Sheldon the Turtle on Knitty.com - you knit his little body and his shell separately and now people have designed more and more "outfits" for him - so you can make a pirate's outfit etc.

I've knitted the teeny turtle before - very cute!

Heidi said...

Ooh, they're darling! The stripes may have been a pain but they look awesome on the fish.

Rebecca said...

I love them! I'll have to try them. :) Do you know you can carry your yarn up the sides when you strip as long as the rows are even? (meaning 2 rows of one color than 2 of another or any other even number.) Just twist the unused color with the active color at the end of the row. :) It's especially easy with toys since you hide everything inside. :) I'm off to see if I have any red yarn!!

woof nanny said...

ooh, thanks for the links. I'm not quite there yet (don't know how to m1 yet), but I too have friends with a baby who has a sea-themed room, so these would be cute